Deadline: November 4, 2019
Bass Connections is now accepting proposals for 2020-2021 projects that engage faculty, undergraduates and graduate/professional students in the interdisciplinary exploration of complex societal challenges. Please see the project proposal guidelines. The deadline to propose a project is November 4 at 5:00 p.m.
Projects may be proposed in relation to one or more of the five, broad interdisciplinary themes of Bass Connections, or to Bass Connections Open – a channel that invites proposals that align with the model of Bass Connections but otherwise fall outside the parameters of the existing themes.
- Education & Human Development (projects focused on education and development in the American South, and the impact of history on our world today, are particularly encouraged this year)
- Global Health (including U.S. health disparities)
Special Opportunities for 2020-2021
When completing a proposal, faculty will also have the opportunity to take advantage of the following opportunities. Please note that applying for these opportunities will not increase project funding, but rather may increase the likelihood that a project is selected by allowing us to leverage funds designated for a specific purpose.
- Submit a joint proposal for a year-long Bass Connections project and a Summer 2020 Story+ or Data+ project
- Energy Access
- Biodiversity Conservation (must include at least one NSOE faculty member)
Laura Howes, director of Bass Connections, is available to answer questions. Faculty may also contact any of the Bass Connections theme leaders to discuss project ideas.
Additional Opportunities through Bass Connections
Special Call for Proposals for Project Teams Related to Immigration: We are now accepting proposals for new projects addressing research related to immigration. Faculty interested in proposing such a project should review the immigration project proposal guidelines and submit a proposal by October 28 at 5:00 p.m. (All other proposals for year-long Bass Connections projects should be submitted through our normal RFP process outlined above.)
Apply for the Collaborative Project Courses Faculty Fellowship: Duke Learning Innovation, in partnership with Bass Connections, is launching a new Faculty Fellows program to support faculty interested in designing a course that is collaborative and project-based (including re-designing existing courses). Participating faculty will receive $5,000; support and guidance from pedagogy experts and faculty experienced in this form of teaching; and the opportunity to collaborate on course (re)design with a group of faculty from across campus. Applications are due October 15 at 5:00 p.m.
- Read the 2020-2021 project proposal guidelines.
- See sample proposals and explore the 2019-2020 Bass Connections projects.
- Browse faculty perspectives from those who have led Bass Connections projects.