Mary Story, professor of community & family medicine and global health, will chair a faculty search committee to recommend candidates for the directorship of the Duke Global Health institute (DGHI), succeeding the institute’s founding director, Dr. Michael Merson.
Story was appointed by Provost Sally Kornbluth and Chancellor for Health Affairs Dr. A. Eugene Washington to lead the 17-person committee. Merson will step down June 30, 2017, after leading the institute since it was launched in 2006.
Under Merson, DGHI became a well-established, interdisciplinary institute that drew faculty from medicine and nursing, anthropology, psychology, public policy, engineering and environmental sciences and other fields, to conduct research on real-world problems and implement solutions both locally and around the world.
The committee has been charged with developing a diverse pool of candidates by soliciting nominations and applications from within the Duke community, conducting interviews, and submitting to the provost and chancellor a list of finalists from whom the final selection will be chosen.
Nominations and applications from the Duke community are welcome. Nominations should include a brief statement of why the individual is being nominated and the nominee’s qualifications for the position. Applications should include a CV and brief letter of interest that should describe the applicant’s qualifications and experience. All nominations and applications will be held in strict confidence.
The executive search firm Spencer Stuart has been hired to assist the search process. Nominations and other communications can be sent to the firm at DGHI@spencerstuart.com.
In addition, questions and comments may be directed to members of the committee:
- Mary Story – Chair: Professor, Community & Family Medicine and Global Health; Associate Director for Academic Programs
- Susan Alberts: Robert F. Durden Professor of Biology
- Gary Bennett: Bishop-MacDermott Family Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience
- Marion Broome: Dean and Ruby Wilson Professor, School of Nursing
- Larry Carin: Vice Provost for Research
- Nelson Chao: Donald D. and Elizabeth G. Cooke Cancer Research Professor
- Dennis Clements: Chief, Division of Primary Care Pediatrics
- Coleen Cunningham: Professor of Pediatrics and Global Health
- Sandy Darity: Samuel DuBois Cook Professor of Public Policy
- Michael Haglund: Professor of Surgery, Neurobiology and Global Health
- Larry Helfer: Harry R. Chadwick Sr. Professor of Law
- Jack Leslie: Chair, Weber Shandwick and Chair, Duke Global Health Board of Visitors
- Nimmi Ramunajam: Robert W. Carr, Jr. Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Henry Rice: Professor of Surgery and Global Health
- Nathan Thielman: Professor of Medicine
- Raphael Valdivia: Vice Dean for Basic Science, School of Medicine
- Jim Zhang: Professor of Global and Environmental Health