Announcing: A university committee is seeking comments as part of a regular performance review of Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions (NI) Tim Profeta. Regular reviews of Institute Directors are conducted in the fourth or fifth year of their-five year term by a committee formed by the Executive Committee of the Academic Council, in consultation with the provost. Such a committee has been appointed to review the Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions Director, Tim Profeta, who has served in his post since 2005.
Mark Wiesner, James B. Duke Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, will serve as committee chair. Other committee members include: Alex Pfaff (Professor of Public Policy, Economics and Environment), Mary Story (Professor in Community & Family Medicine and Global Health), and Erika Weinthal (Lee Hill Snowden Professor of Environmental Policy).
An important part of the review process is the solicitation and consideration of comments from the university’s many constituencies. Comments on performance and suggestions for the future are important to the committee’s work.
The charge to the committee poses several questions for the review, including Tim Profeta’s effectiveness in the following areas:
- intellectual and organizational leadership for an institute intended to be a bridge between academia and decision makers;
- engaging faculty from multiple schools and departments in the work of the NI;
- effective collaboration and coordination with leadership in relevant units and schools including the Energy Initiative, Nicholas and Sanford schools, etc.;
- mentoring faculty leaders and pivotal research staff; commitment to diversity, inclusion and excellence;
- engaging students—both undergraduate and graduate—in NI activities and programs;
- developing and maintaining successful relationships with entities outside of the university, e.g., government, NGO’s, etc.;
- responsiveness to the recent (2013) external review of the NI;
- overall effectiveness as the leader of a nimble, diverse organization.
The committee invites you to share your thoughts by email or letter. Communication should include the nature of your interactions with Director Profeta so that the committee can understand the context of the comments as fully as possible. The committee will discuss responses, and a summary will be included in the written report to the provost.
The committee would appreciate receiving comments by January 30.
Ways to respond:
- Send an email to email@example.com. Please cc your response to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Send a letter to Mark Wiesner, Chair of the Tim Profeta Review Committee (Attn: Mindy Miller) at Box 90003, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, or have it delivered to room 224 Allen Building;
- Contact Mindy Miller to arrange for an appointment with someone on the Committee (919-668-1460).
Information collected will be compiled in a report, without attribution, which will be submitted to the Provost and the Vice Provost for Interdisciplinary Studies at the conclusion of the review. Responses will be kept confidential. While a list of those from whom feedback is received will be part of the record, it will be in an appendix of the report which will not be shared. No comments or observations will be attributed to any individual in any report of the committee.