Bio

Hi there, thanks for visiting my website! I’m Howard, nice to e-meet ya!

I grew up in Raleigh, “just down the street” from Duke. (Actually, junior and senior year of high school I was at the North Carolina School of Science and Math in Durham, which is literally down the street from Duke!)

Currently, I am a student in the Pratt School, pursuing a degree in Biomedical Engineering in addition to the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate.

Before coming to Duke, I had a lot of experience doing scientific research; throughout high school I would spend my summers at NC State doing chemistry research, and during my senior year I worked in a BME lab at Duke (which conveniently was a segue for me to study BME here now). However, I wanted to use my time in college to explore new opportunities: I explored the entrepreneurship space through working with startups in I&E, I worked with nonprofit organizations, I worked in traditional corporate settings, and much more. All of these experiences are described on this website!

As graduation approaches, I have a more clear idea of what I would like to do in the future. Combining my technical background as an engineering, my interest in human-centered design, and what I learned in the I&E program about new ventures, I am working full-time as a product manager at a company called Applied Predictive Technologies (APT)In my free time, I enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, running, climbing, snorkeling, scuba diving, and just exploring in general. Although sometimes this can get me into a bit of trouble… (like the time I almost got attacked by a shark…)

My plans for the future are still a tad uncertain, but I know I want to continue working on the cutting edge of new technologies. I want to help create new products that are economically sustainable but also socially responsible. My education as a engineering and I&E student here at Duke is will definitely be useful as I pursue this goal in the future.