browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Why I’m Pursuing the I&E Certificate?

As an environmental advocate, I believe the Innovative and Entrepreneurship (I&E) Certificate provides me an incredible opportunity to explore, strengthen, and leverage my passion for making the world a better place.

Elliott in the Forest at Patuxent Research Refuge

One may question how entrepreneurship and advocacy may overlap. To become a successful entrepreneur, one must create, market, and sell a product while creating a strong reputation for your company and acquiring new customers. Similarly, in the world of advocacy, one must brainstorm policy proposals, lobby elected officials, achieve a positive legislative outcome, and develop personal relationships with policymakers.

I also am interested in learning more about Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), working with businesses to have positive environmental and social impact. Most companies have created a sustainability initiative, creating the opportunity to expand efforts to protect the planet by aligning it with generating more profit.

“Ecopreneurship” is another field which I hope to explore, applying the principles of entrepreneurship to create a business that solves an environmental problem and operates sustainably. Tackling challenges such as climate change, pollution, and habitat degradation will require innovative solutions, creating a need which only impact-driven businesses can fulfill.

Whatever path I take, the I&E Certificate will prepare me to turn my ideas into action, generating positive change for people and the planet.