My Story

Background

My name is Dan Yanes, and my love for puzzles has led me to where I am today. I am a Senior majoring in civil engineering at Duke University and I am pursuing a certificate in Innovation and Entrepreneurship, the focus of this website. To me, this certificate has been a way for me to apply my problem-solving background to tackle business problems.

I have always had an affinity for math and science, and I enjoy solving puzzles and building things. Through these passions, I discovered engineering to be a perfect match. I was drawn to Duke because I saw that it possessed a student body that was intensely passionate and dedicated both academically and extracurricularly. The rigor that Duke students bring to the classroom also extends to sports, arts, and many other fields.

I am originally from New Jersey and I have a very close relationship with my parents, two brothers, and dog. (I am the leftmost human in the photo below)

Extracurriculars

I am a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, and have been a leader in the build team for Duke’s concrete canoe. For the past year, I have worked as a teaching assistant for a design course in which I guide freshman engineers in solving real-world problems from product development to implementation. Outside of class, I enjoy staying active. I participate in many recreation and sporting events, joined various intramural sports teams as well as the outing club, and spend a lot of time in the Wilson Fitness center. I also enjoy developing innovative solutions through the use of 3D printing, laser-cutting, and other building techniques. Additionally, I’ve become part of Cooper, a selective living group on Duke’s campus.

Additional Information

Dan Yanes Resume

Dan Yanes LinkedIn

Email: daniel.yanes@duke.edu
Phone: 862-216-1569