May 13, 2016

My Story

Hi! My name is Ariel, and I am in the Duke class of 2019. I was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and grew up in Lower Merion Township, a suburb of Philadelphia with my Dad, Mom, sister, and brother. family I attended Lower Merion High School (LMHS), where I played the flute in the chamber orchestra and graduated with distinguished honors.

I chose Duke because it offers the ideal combination of academics and dance allowing me to acquire a comprehensive education and broaden my horizons. I love dancing. Ballet is my passion, provides my identity and form of expression, and has given me once in a lifetime opportunity to live and dance in Moscow, Russia. In 2013, I was awarded a National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) scholarship through the State Department to dance at the Bolshoi Ballet Academy in Moscow, Russia while simultaneously learning Russian language and experiencing Russian culture. At Duke, I have had the opportunity to continue dancing. I am on the Dancing Devils, Duke’s dance team and perform at all home football and basketball games. To continue ballet, I take ballet technique classes, perform in November Dances and Choreolab, and dance with Devils en Pointe.

duke!

My studies at Duke have allowed me to indirectly experience innovation and entrepreneurship, and I am pursuing my interest in innovation as an Ambassador for the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Program (I&E). As an I&E Ambassador, I mentor students pursuing the I&E Certificate, write blog posts for the I&E Education Blog, and promote aspects of the I&E Program like the Bull Penn, I&E Academy presentations, and events hosting entrepreneurial guest speakers. In addition to my work with the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Program, I have deepened my interest in business with internships at a hedge fund, BlackRock, and a startup – Ussie. I also work part time writing social media posts for senior executive through Qnary and serve as a Vice President of Duke’s Association for Business Oriented Women.

duke

After graduating from Duke, I plan on working in either tech or finance focusing on research and development and investment strategies and growth to gain experience and expertise to someday grow and develop a company myself. Entrepreneurship is fascinating in the sense that millions of people come up with new ideas and hope to develop them into successful products.

So, that’s a little about myself. Please feel free to browse my site, see what I’ve been up to, and reach out with any questions!

Sincerely,

Ariel

My Story at the end of my Freshman Year