Program Assistant, Duke Civic Engagement (DCE)
Part-time graduate student position (10-12 hours per week) at $18 per hour for Fall 2021 – Spring 2022.
Duke Civic Engagement (DCE) advances Duke’s commitment to collaboration with communities on pressing challenges. We accomplish this by:
- Connecting community organizations with students, faculty and staff through service, partnership, or other collaborative opportunities
- Strengthening capacity for engaged work and impact for community and campus partners through educational programming, consultations, tools, and other resources
- Cultivating deeper academic and community partnerships through collaborative learning, scholarship, and service
DCE is seeking a graduate student to serve as a Program Assistant from September 2021-May 2022 to support the development and implementation of training resources for Duke students, staff, and faculty. The Program Assistant will also assist with creating relevant communications and social media content and contributing to other office priorities to build capacity for best practices in civic engagement.
Training and Resource Development
- Research and identify best practices and core content for community engagement training and preparation
- Coordinate a campus-wide assessment of existing resources and consult with campus units to learn more about their materials and practices
- Assist with the compilation of a campus-wide repository of community engagement training resources
- Work with the Civic Engagement team to develop new training modules and activities
- Co-facilitate workshops for community engagement courses, programs, and initiatives (will require occasional evening and weekend hours)
- Work with the civic engagement team to develop an outreach and communications plan to publicize resources and workshop offerings
- Draft social media, newsletter, and website content to highlight civic engagement resources
- Support and contribute to additional programming needs for DCE as requested
- Attend regular meetings with program leads and participate in additional staff meetings when possible
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience or interest in community engagement work and community-campus collaborations
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Collaborative, organized, and skilled in project management
- Facilitation experience preferred
This position requires 10-12 hours per week at $18 per hour and reports to the Senior Program Coordinator for Civic Engagement within the Duke Office of Durham and Community Affairs. Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to Lindsey Miller Furiness at email@example.com July 30, 2021.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.