Home » Biliary/Pancreas

Category Archives: Biliary/Pancreas

October 2016 Edition of Haque’s Digest

Dr. Haque has created another excellent edition of Haque’s DIGEST.

Check out the October Haque’s DIGEST for updates on BE screening, surveillance and biomarkers, volatile compounds in plasma for detection of EAC, adenoma location and recurrence risk, gastric cancer and IM, bowel resection in IBD and type 2 autoimmune pancreatitis.

 

 

November JC – Pancreas

George Philips presented a paper on the use of lithotripsy for the treatment of pancreatic stones by Milovic et al (PMID: 21981815). This was a series of 32 patients who had failed ERCP and were treated with lithotripsy  at one German center between 2000 and 2003. Patients underwent a median of four sessions of lithotripsy, and some patients underwent as many as 15 sessions. ERCP was subsequently performed. 40% of patients had clearance of the pancreatic duct, and the other 60% required stent placement (and change-outs). At 6-9 months, 87% of patients reported some improvement in their pain. A major limitation of the study was the simplicity of the pain and quality of life scales (rated each as 1-5), which were not validated. Without a randomized control trial design, the improvements in pain were difficult to judge due to potential placebo effect. However, lithotripsy could be used to delay or avoid surgery in certain patients. In the past, this has been available at Duke, and is something that might be worth revisiting.

Prior JC Conferences

Calendar

July 2024
S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031