2015 Selected Presentations
- “Sharing of Data and Reagents, Intellectual Property and Liability.” Institute of Medicine conference on a Global Health Risk Framework: A Workshop on Research and Development of Medical Products. Hong Kong. August 19, 2015. Available at: http://iom.nationalacademies.org/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Global/WS4-GlobalHealthRiskFramework/Session%202_Segment%20B_So.pdf
- “Antibiotic Resistance: A Challenge to Global Health and A Call for Concerted Action.” United Nations Briefing on Antimicrobial Resistance. New York City, USA. June 15, 2015.
- “How Might New Business Models Move Diagnostics from Interoperability to Innovation?” World Health Organization Global Consultation on Diagnostics Interoperability. Geneva, Switzerland. June 12, 2015.
- “Overcoming Gaps in R&D for Tackling Antibiotic Resistance.” World Health Organization and Ministry of Health of Brazil High-Level Technical Meeting. Brasilia, Brazil. March 26, 2015.
- “A market failure case study – Antibiotics.” Fondation Merieux conference, Vaccination ecosystem health check: achieving impact today and sustainability for tomorrow. Annecy, France. January 21, 2015.
2013 Selected Presentations
- Anthony So and Ryan Denniston. “Tobacco Trade in the ASEAN Region: Transit Points and AFTA.” Asia Pacific Conference on Tobacco or Health. Chiba, Japan. 21 Aug 2013.
- Anthony So. “Beyond conventional thinking: How do we get new antibiotics and use them properly?” Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. Denver, Colorado. 11 Sep 2013.
- “Antibiotic Resistance—today’s challenges, tomorrow’s solutions,” TrilateralTechnical Symposium on Medical Innovation—Changing Business Models, World Health Organization, World Intellectual Property Organization, and the World Trade World Trade Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, July 5, 2013. Following the opening session by the Director-Generals of the three organizations, this presentation introduced the 3Rs framework (sharing resources, risks & rewards) as applied to antibiotic innovation. Available at: http://www.wipo.int/edocs/mdocs/mdocs/en/who_wipo_wto_ip_med_ge_13/who_wipo_wto_ip_med_ge_13_www_243225.pdf
- Opening Address, Boston-wide Forum on Global Access Licensing of Biomedically Relevant Technologies, Universities Allied for Essential Medicines, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, April 25, 2013. This presentation discussed how to conceptualize the structure of technology licenses and how clauses in these licenses translate into access to patients in need.
- “Stewardship and the Challenges of De-Linking Return on Investment from Reimbursement,” Incentives for Change: Addressing the Challenges in Antibacterial Drug Development, Brookings Institution, Washington, DC, February 27, 2013. This presentation challenged the traditional notion of “delinkage,” suggesting that delinking antibiotic R&D investment from price alone is insufficient, but rather delinkage must involve both price and quantity.
- “Vaccine Development: Reducing Risks, Responding to Demand. Which innovative models?” WHO-U.S. DHHS Workshop on Business Modeling for Sustainable Influenza Vaccine Manufacturing, Washington, DC, January 15, 2013. This presentation considered the role of tiering and pooling, as well as push and pull financing mechanisms in vaccine R&D.