Interdisciplinary Curriculum

Interdisciplinary Curriculum

• Special Topics in Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Brand Empathy and Experience Design
    • Description: This course focuses on how businesses, brands, and entrepreneurs craft deep and meaningful experiences through empathy with their customers. As a member of this project based class, I anticipate applying the knowledge of experience design developed in the first part of this course to solve real world cases with partner companies and startups in the second part of the year.
    • GC Connection: This course offers the opportunity to foster a fundamental understanding of the commercial context in which energy innovation seeks to situate itself. Through developing the empathetic links emphasized in this course, I seek to develop a robust methodology for how to identify the public needs to be filled by the energy technology I work with, whether in a research or design setting.
    • Professor: Brad Brinegar
    • Start Date: January 11, 2019
    • End Date (anticipated): May 4, 2019
    • Weekly Hours: 3
    • Total Hours: 45
  • Performance Technology – DANCE 308/ECE 364/ISIS 376THEATRST 364
    • Description: This course explored the relationship between technology and performative arts through workshops, observation, and hands-on projects. Over the semester, I gained an understanding of the theoretical and historical implications of technologies in performance.
    • GC Connection: The semester long projects created by our performance groups all centered around power, a topic that features strongly in my grand challenge focus. In addition, I participated in an extracurricular dance performance with the class’s professors and graduate students. This piece aimed to build an understanding of the human relationship with everyday residential power consumption, and was performed at Duke Choreolab in May 2018.
    • Professors: Dr. Thomas DeFrantz, Dr. Martin Brooke
    • Start Date: January 11, 2018
    • End Date: May 4, 2018
    • Weekly Hours: 5
    • Total Hours: 90, including 15 for Choreolab performance
Rehearsal for the Choreolab Performance
  • User Interfaces and User Experiences, COMPSCI 300 (taken while abroad through Universidad Carlos III de Madrid)
    • Description: This course approached the creation of interfaces and websites through a holistic study of design. Lab projects over the course of the semester incorporated design principles and heuristics into prototypes and functional products.
    • GC Connection: The core principles discussed in this class serve as the foundation for all of my engineering design work, including my energy related projects. By taking a course that constantly emphasized commitment to serving user needs as a driver for meaningful progress, I reinforced the human-centered approach I take to connecting people with systems that enable them to attain sustainable lifestyles.
    • Professors: Prof. Maria Teresa Onorati
    • Start Date: September 4, 2018
    • End Date: December 18, 2018
    • Weekly Hours: 5
    • Total Hours: 90
The landing page for BeeHive, a travel website project.