Skip to content
- Duke Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate
- Status: Ongoing
- Description: As a participant in this certificate program, I’m engaged in a combination of in depth classes and hands on experiences geared towards developing my skills as an innovator and entrepreneur. Currently, I’m taking Professor Brinegar’s Brand Empathy and Experience Design course, in which we will apply an approach to marketing refined in the more academic setting of the first half of the course to challenges faced by real world companies.
- GC Connection: Building empathy for customers and their needs is a core tenet of human-centered design, and drives the thinking behind sustainable and effective energy solutions
- Supervisors: Professor Brad Brinegar, Professor Kathy Amato, and the Duke I&E Certificate staff
- Start Date: August 28, 2018
- Hours: 4 one credit courses, plus two outside entrepreneurship experiences totaling 300 hours
- Laser cut wood sunglasses
- Status: Ongoing
- Description: Using laser cutting technology, I have designed a method for creating a functional pair of sunglasses from a single cut piece of wood. Currently, I am perfecting this process to optimize material strength and fit, and am looking towards larger scale production in the near future.
- GC Connection: On a fundamental level, the ability to market and profit from a product by understanding consumer motivation is critical for a future of widespread use of solar energy. In addition, I am planning on incorporating a system for directing a portion of future profits towards energy access initiatives.
- Supervisor: I am applying to be part of the new Studio Duke program, which connects students pursuing individual artistic projects with alumni mentors in creative industries.
- Start Date: July 16, 2018
- Total Hours: 30