Females Excelling More in Math, Engineering, and Science (FEMMES)

I am volunteering with FEMMES in different activities such as working with elementary school students and mentoring middle school students in the Durham area to ignite their interest in STEM.

These programs, and my personal experience, will hopefully encourage a new generation of engineers and innovators to advance the Grand Challenge goals.

I have been a part of FEMMES since January of 2017 and am currently loving our regular trips to Sandy Ridge Elementary to ignite young girls’ enthusiasm for science. This opportunity is so rewarding because I work with the same girls every week and they are always excited to get started on each new project.

Duration: August 21, 2016 – December 18, 2017

Total time to complete experience: 90 hours

Girls Engineering Change

I am volunteering with Girls Engineering Change (GEC) to teach young girls about engineering through simple kits. These kits include making calculators, heart rate detectors, and handheld Simon Says machines. We teach them skills like soldering and simple circuitry analysis.

Similar to FEMMES, this will hopefully encourage a new generation of female engineers and innovators to advance the Grand Challenge goals.

I have participated in this wonderful program starting in August of 2016 and truly enjoy mentoring these girls in useful engineering skills.

Duration: August 21, 2016 – May 3, 2017

Total time to complete experience: 40 hours