The Fuqua on Board (FOB) program matches Duke MBA students with Durham-area nonprofits to serve as non-voting board members. Over the course of a year-long engagement, pairs of students work with a board mentor, participate in board meetings, attend relevant committee meetings, and fulfill the responsibilities of an active board member. FOB Fellows also complete a project for their nonprofit organization designed to map directly onto improving board governance and functioning.
Students serve as “board fellows,” gaining valuable insight into the governance and inner workings of nonprofit organizations while providing the nonprofits with fresh perspectives and critical business skills. FOB provides training, coaching, and peer support throughout their board engagement.
FOB is an extracurricular volunteer commitment; students do not receive academic credit for their participation. Through FOB, students learn the basics of nonprofit board governance and are equipped with the skills and competencies to be effective board members now and in the future.
Benefits to Partner Organizations
- Gain access to talented MBA students with a diversity of experience, business skills, and fresh, innovative ideas.
- Help develop and steward future community leaders.
- Strengthen relationships with Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business.
Organizations participating in FOB must:
- Be a nonprofit based in Durham, North Carolina
- Have a reasonably stable governing board that meets monthly or bi-monthly (preference for monthly meetings)
- Be willing to invite two students to participate in a non-voting role in board and committee meetings on a regular basis
- Provide mentorship and supervision to students assigned to your board via a staff liaison and a board member “mentor”
- Have a robust anti-discrimination or inclusivity policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of marginalized identities
- Appoint a board mentor AND a staff liaison to provide mentorship and supervision to your Fellows (onboard them to your board and organization history/mission/vision, get to know them and their skillsets and desired learning objectives, etc).
- Help to scope out a project that fits your needs and the students expectations and support them throughout it.
- Provide feedback to improve the FOB program experience for all.