Home » Duke FOLIO Forum

Category Archives: Duke FOLIO Forum

Polls

Which SIG group would you like to hear more about?

  • Implementers Group (31%, 5 Votes)
  • Metadata Management (25%, 4 Votes)
  • Resource Management (13%, 2 Votes)
  • ERM Sub Group (13%, 2 Votes)
  • Reporting (13%, 2 Votes)
  • User Management (6%, 1 Votes)
  • System Ops and Management (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 16

Loading ... Loading ...

Duke FOLIO Forum February 19 2020

On Wednesday, February 19, we held our quarterly Duke FOLIO Forum. This quarter, we presented about the Edelweiss release, the time lines for both the larger project and our local implementation, shared information from WOLFcon20, and Erin Nettifee gave a tour of the FOLIO Project site on the Duke Wiki.

International Project Update

Edelweiss was released on January 10. This release has added 89 new features, and thanks to the FOLIO Bug Fests, fixed a record number of bugs! We have about 10 staff on the list for testing in the FOLIO Bug Fests, and they’re

bringing the skills they’ve learned back to our local implementation project. Many thanks to our testers!

The international FOLIO project continues on with scheduling the remaining features that need to be added. The libraries that are planning to go live this summer with a sub-set of FOLIO applications have created lists of the minimum functionality required for them to go live. The product owners are working with the lists to match Jira issues to the functionality. The group of libraries and the functionality needed can be found on the Round II list. The list includes Duke’s adoption of the ERM functionality. There are lists being curated to account for the needs of the libraries going live in 2020 with the MVP, and those (including Duke) going live in 2021 with the full implementation. You can find those lists on the FOLIO wiki under the Implementers Group; Working Groups section.

Duke sent 11 representatives to WOLFcon20 hosted by Texas A&M. We reviewed the schedule ahead of time with the intention of getting to as many FOLIO sessions as possible. On top of the usual special interest group meetings, a company called Arkivum partnered with EBSCO, and gave a plenary session on their product, Perpetua. Perpetua is a digital preservation system, which uses the FOLIO codex to search and connect with repository software and special collections. The plan is to release that software as open source in the future. About 10 staff from Shanghai Public Libraries attended WOLFcon and spoke about their plans to create a circulation app based on the FOLIO architecture to be able to handle 100 million circulation transactions a year! The sheer size and number of libraries and borrowers that the Shanghai Public Library system handles is mind-boggling. A few of the Chinese representatives reached out to Duke staff to learn more about our implementation plans and requirements. An interesting addition to this WOLFcon was presentations about how institutions are actually interacting with FOLIO. Chalmers gave a presentation on their support structure for both local bugs and bugs that need to be reported back to the larger project. The Data Migration SIG representatives from Index Data, Chicago and Texas A&M presented on how they’re loading data and the issues they’re running into. And the Accessibility SIG demonstrated the progress they’re making on ensuring FOLIO meets Web Content Accessiblity Guidelines¬†2.1 AA and has VPAT certification. WOLFcon21 will be held in Hamburg, Germany.

Local Project Update

 

The LSP Steering Group held a kickoff meeting on January 8 for our local working teams to meet, learn about their roles on the teams, and more specifics on how the teams will work together.

Our local instance, hosted by Index Data, is up and the local project team members have access to it. At the moment, there’s minimal configuration and no data. We’ll be working with Index Data to get our Aleph data imported. They’ll also be available to help the project teams with implementation support and custom development. Index Data is also supporting FOLIO implementations for the University of Chicago, Lehigh University, and the Fenway Library Organization (FLO). We’ve already scheduled a standing meeting with Index Data and the other institutions they’re supporting so we can share local updates, work on common issues, and learn from each other.

Our local timelines are becoming more concrete as our local teams have started meeting. The ERM Implementation Team will be meeting with the Configurations Working Group in March to go over the configurations needed for the Licences app, and possibly the Agreements and eUsage apps. They’ll need to work with the User Permissions and Workflow Working Groups in early Spring to set up and test permission sets, and to understand the local workflows. Also this spring, the Configurations Working Group and the Data Working Group will be hosting a series of meetings to discuss how Duke will implement FOLIO’s four-level location hierarchy.

Finally, Erin showed us around the FOLIO project node on the Duke Wiki. Duke Staff will need to log in to see everything, as it’s not all open to the public.

We look forward to seeing you at the next Forum! Date and time coming soon.

Slide deck: Duke FOLIO Forum 2020219, Speaker notes

Duke FOLIO Forum November 20 2019

On Wednesday, November 20, we held our second quarterly open forum for Duke Libraries’ staff. We shared updates on the international project, heard from members of three of the FOLIO special interest groups (SIGs), and an update on the project plan and timeline of Duke’s implementation.

Dracine Hodges led us off with an overview of the international project, starting with the advantages of FOLIO’s platform and it’s features. She shared an updated FOLIO development timeline that extends to the fourth quarter in 2020.¬†We celebrated Chalmers’ being the first to launch FOLIO in production. And we learned more about the commitments other institutions have made and when they’re planning to launch FOLIO in their production environments.

FOLIO’s Round 2 early adopters are:

  • GBV (All but circulation, early 2020)
  • University of Leipzig (ERM & Acquisitions, early 2020)
  • Wentworth Institute of Technology (Full)
  • Simmons University (Full)
  • University of Chicago (Full)
  • Cornell University (ERM)
  • Duke University (ERM)
  • Lehigh University(Full)
  • Five Colleges (ERM & Acquisitions)
  • University of Alabama (Full, late 2020)

Round 3 early adopters are:

  • Texas A&M (All but ERM)
  • Duke University (Full)
  • Five Colleges (Full)
  • Cornell (Full)
Erin Nettifee, Angela Zoss, and Matthew Harrington shared information about the SIGs on which they participate. Erin started us off with the User Management SIG. This SIG has been around since the early beginnings of FOLIO. The group was first focused on the technical details and data points that needed to be included in the User record. User Management is important because both patrons and library staff who use FOLIO are “users”. The difference between them is that library staff users (and student staff members) will have permissions assigned to them so they can do their work. Users holds basic data such as identification strings (think NetID, Duke Unique ID and library card barcode), address, and other identity management data. Users also holds fines and fees management, requests, and loans for the user. Some recent “wins” for users include easy manual creation of user records, proxy borrowing, and custom fields that can be different for each institution.

 

Angela serves on the Reporting SIG and talked about how the group has been collecting reporting requirements, mapping data elements, building the data warehouse, and writing the queries for the reports. They’ve been working on the Library Data Platform (LDP) which will take data exported from FOLIO, load it into a data warehouse that mimics FOLIO, and how the institutions will be able to add on a front-end reporting interface (or more than one!) that meets their needs.

 

Matthew shared details on how the Data Migration SIG has worked on creating crosswalks from various integrated library systems (ILS) such as Aleph and Voyager to FOLIO’s data model. Most traditional ILSs use flat relational databases to store data. FOLIO is using PostgreSQL with JSON objects. The JSON objects can contain a hierarchy of data, such as an array of addresses.

Karen Newbery, FOLIO Project Manager, spoke about Duke’s implementation plans. We’ve committed to using the ERM-focused FOLIO apps in production beginning in summer 2020. In summer of 2021, we plan to implement the entirety of the FOLIO apps. She shared we plan to organize teams and working groups to complete the FOLIO implementation.

 

Implementation Teams will be focused on the functional areas traditionally covered by an ILS – Resource Management (Acquisitions), Metadata Management (Cataloging and other data tasks), Resource Access (Circulation), and E-Resource Management. We separated ERM from Resource Management, since we’ll be implementing their suite of apps in summer 2020.

 

As we thought about the work that needs to be done, there were some task categories that surfaced, no matter which functional area we were thinking about. Those categories are Configuration, User Permissions, Data, Workflows, Documentation & Training, Functional Testing, and Reporting. We’re going to convene a working group for each of those task categories.

 

The implementation teams and working groups will work together to complete all the tasks for the implementation. We expect that the implementation teams will circulate throughout the working groups, allowing the working groups to focus on their tasks and having the implementation teams bring the subject matter expertise. We’ve gathered names of people we’d like to have serve on these teams and groups, and will be kicking them off in early 2020 with a team building and on-boarding opportunity.

Finally, we entertained questions that were submitted in advance of the forum, and answered questions from those in in attendance.

Slides from the presentation:

Duke FOLIO Forum August 12 2019

What a great turnout! Thanks to all of you who came yesterday. Due to technical difficulties with the microphone in the room, we were unable to record the session. Rest assured, we’ll get that in place for future forums. We’ll also look at ways to live-stream, perhaps using Zoom meetings.

Deborah Jakubs started us off with a welcome and history of Duke’s involvement in this project. Did you know that Duke was approached by the Mellon Foundation to consider what an open-source system designed by librarians for libraries would look like way back in 2008? We partnered with Lehigh University the University of Chicago, and SOAS University of London. The resulting product was Kuali OLE (Open Library Environment) created in a partnership with the Kuali Foundation. Lehigh, UChicago, and SOAS are all using the OLE software today. The FOLIO project and community grew out of the OLE project.

Dracine Hodges continued with an overview of the FOLIO project. She described the primary partners, the OLE Foundation, EBSCO, and Index Data and listed the partner institutions. Our partner institutions span the globe, so we collaborate over Zoom, Confluence, Slack, and use Jira for tracking the user stories. She gave an overview of the major functional areas, cross-functional areas, and the FOLIO development process. Dracine shared the FOLIO milestones, with release names and dates and described the “cone of uncertainty” as we move farther into the future, which is normal in an agile project.

Lightning Talks were next on the agenda. We heard from Jacquie Samples and Jackie Gottlieb about the Metadata Management SIG, their sub-groups and working groups, and the areas where they are focusing. These areas include Data Import, MARCcat, the Inventory app, Special Collections/Archives, Batch Edit, Data Export, Search Enhancements, Instance Metadata and MARC mapping, Analytics and Bound-withs, and Holding Metadata and MARC mapping, among others. They shared screenshots of an instance record, in this case, an item record for a book and how the administrative data such as the resource ID, ISSN, and other identifiers are shown.

Andrea Loigman and Erin Nettifee presented on Resource Access. They covered the functions included in Resource Access such as loans, returns, requesting, circulation rules, and fees and fines, to name a few. The RA SIG meets twice a week for an hour each, and Andrea as the convener of the RA SIG invites anyone who would like to participate to contact her. Erin ran a live demo using one of FOLIO’s test sites. She showed the process of placing a hold all the way through checking out the item with the hold to the patron who requested it.

Virginia Martin and Julie Brannon presented about the Resource Management SIG. Resource Management includes Acquisitions and E-Resource Management (ERM). Acquisitions functions include Organizations (Vendors), Finance (Budgets), Orders, and Invoices. ERM functions include Licences, Agreements, eHoldings and eUsage. We are not currently using an ERM here at Duke, so implementing an ERM would have to include reviewing MS Word documents where our licence data is stored, and manually inputting the data into the ERM instead of migrating data.

After the lightning talks, Karen Newbery and Laura Cappelletti shared information on Duke’s project plan, starting with a recognition that people learn in different ways and how we plan to address auditory learning (FOLIO Forums, updates at Open Forum and First Wednesday), visual learning (slides, demos, documentation), and kinesthetic learning (testing, training). Over 129 staff members have been identified for interviews across the Duke Libraries, including the professional school libraries. About 115 first interviews have been completed. Sometimes two or three interviews are required to gather all the information. Thanks to all who have taken their time to be interviewed. Each first interview takes about ninety minutes, so if you do the math…that’s a lot of time. We’re taking you’re opinions to the community as we work to build a better product, and as we consider the development of documentation and training. You’re part of the FOLIO community too!

The extended LSP Steering Group is producing a report that outlines five different scenarios that Duke could chose to implement FOLIO. They include implementing all of FOLIO for a small library, implementing all of FOLIO for all libraries or implementing a subset of functionality. The subsets we’re considering are: circulation focused, inventory plus MARCcat focused, or ERM focused. Each scenario is compared using assumptions, risks, impact to staff, and impact to patrons, to name a few criteria. The report will be compared to the list of functionality that will be included in the Market Viable Product (MVP) and presented to the Executive Group.

We reviewed the prospective timeline at Duke, punctuated with the FOLIO release dates. The boxes below the timeline show when and what will be happening here at Duke as we move toward implementation. Note that our date of moving FOLIO into production is still a date range. As we review the features that will be in the Market Viable Product and choose our implementation scenario, we’ll be able to be more precise in choosing our implementation date.

We now have a sample of FOLIO running on a Duke server. Details can be found on the Duke Libraries Wiki (login required). The sample server is not secure, so please do not put private data in it as you create users and other data. Work will continue on building a production-level, stable, and secure server.

Next Duke FOLIO Forum: Wednesday, November 20; 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.; Holsti-Anderson Family Assembly Room (RL 153)

 

 

FOLIO Overview Slides

Ligntning Talks and Local Project Plan Slides

2022 Q1

Review data requirements for historical Aleph data

Circulation rules creation

Review functional gaps

Document workflows in Kiwi

Begin working on integrations

2022 Q2

Continue integrations

Special development underway

Testing process documented and practiced