Coping with Cancer
We are interested in learning more about the strategies you and your family members have used to cope with cancer.
We would like you to tell us about your experiences using resources offered through the Duke Cancer Institute as you have navigated your cancer experience.
We would also like to understand more about barriers to using available resources and what services you and/or your family members might be interested in using in the future.
Purpose of the Study
The purpose of this study is to better understand the impact of a cancer diagnosis on patients with cancer and their family members.
You may or may not directly benefit from this study. By participating in this study, you and your family members will be able to share your experiences across the following domains:
- Emotional Well-being
- Quality of Life
- Family Communication and Functioning
- Coping with Cancer
Who is Eligible?
You may be eligible to participate if:
- You are receiving medical care at Duke Cancer Institute (Duke Cancer Center or Duke Raleigh Cancer Center)
- You have had a diagnosis of cancer or a recurrence within the last year
- You are at least 21 years old
- You are the parent or primary guardian of at least one child between the ages of 5 and 18
- You are willing to allow at least one of your children to participate in the study
If you choose to participate…
- You will be asked to complete brief questionnaires at four different time points: one at the start of the study and then 6-, 12-, and 18 months after the start of the study.
- You will be asked to allow at least one of your children to participate in the study.
- Your participating child will receive an educational session with a Child Life Specialist. During this session, your child will be asked about his/her experiences since your diagnosis.
- You will be asked for permission to contact your partner or primary caregiver, who will be asked to complete questionnaires at four time points.
You will receive compensation for completing each of the four assessments.
If you have questions about the study or if you would like to participate, contact Sarah Arthur at (919)681-3905 or email@example.com