Annual Retreat

The Summer 2017 Scholarly Writing Retreat was held June 5-8th at the King’s Daughters Inn in Durham, North Carolina. The dates for the 2018 retreat will be announced in January 2018.

Read, Write, Engage. A multi-day writing retreat is offered each June to help faculty cultivate a meaningful, productive writing life. Each day includes plenty of time to write, as well as hands-on writing workshops. Writing sessions offer opportunities to write in a comfortable, relaxed space. In workshops, writers learn powerful practices that can help them to incorporate their role as a writer among their many commitments.

Retreat Facilitators: Monique Dufour (History, Virginia Tech) and Jennifer Ahern-Dodson (Writing Studies, Duke)

What participants have to say“Taking time as a community to focus on writing projects is energizing and powerful.”

I have never run into such a fresh perspective about the hurdles of writing. I appreciate your approach because it emphasizes the process rather than the product, it looks at the nuts and bolts, all the phases, shortcomings, and how to overcome them. What is truly impressive  is that all the suggestions are practical, doable, and very common sense.”

“I loved this workshop. It was tremendously helpful in getting me unstuck, in helping me to find (and validate!) a voice, and in soothing my soul.”

2017 Scholarly Writing Retreat Participants