Annual Retreat

THE SUMMER RETREAT IS NOW FULL

Please email mary.keddington@duke.edu if you’d like to be added to the wait list. 

The Summer 2017 Scholarly Writing Retreat will be June 5-8th at the King’s Daughters Inn in Durham, North Carolina. Space is limited to 15 participants. For more information and to apply, see Retreat-Registration

A block of rooms has been reserved at the Residence Inn, 1108 Main Street Durham, NC at the group rate of $149 per night. Register by May 5 to guarantee the group rate. To register online: reservations.

Read, Write, Engage. Multi-day retreat  offered each summer to help faculty cultivate a sane, productive writing life. Each day includes plenty of time to write, as well as hands-on writing workshops. Writing sessions offer opportunities to write in a comfortable, relaxed space. In workshops, faculty writers learn powerful practices that can help them to incorporate their role as a writer among their many commitments.

“Taking time as a community to focus on writing projects is energizing and powerful.”

I have never run into such a fresh perspective about the hurdles of writing. I appreciate your approach because it emphasizes the process rather than the product, it looks at the nuts and bolts, all the phases, shortcomings, and how to overcome them. What is truly impressive  is that all the suggestions are practical, doable, and very common sense.”

“I loved this workshop. It was tremendously helpful in getting me unstuck, in helping me to find (and validate!) a voice, and in soothing my soul.”

“I came feeling extremely frustrated and tired of my project which had been stalled for a LONG time.  Not excited about it, not knowing how to move it forward… The workshop has allowed me to identify my problem areas and given me strategies for becoming unstuck… I am actually excited about where I am and what I have discovered.”

.

Retreat participants have included Duke, UNC, and Virginia Tech faculty from the following departments and programs: 

Biology, Franklin Humanities Institute, Germanic Languages and Literature, Romance Studies, Chemistry, English, Psychology & Neuroscience,Women’s Studies, Science and Technology Studies, Pauli Murray Project, Global Health and Bioinformatics, Classics, African and African American Studies, Duke Chapel, Center for Instructional Technology, Philosophy, Duke Libraries, Thompson Writing Program, Art, Art History & Visual studies, Theater, Nicholas School of the Environment, Religious Studies.