Self-Help/CRL offers a 10-week summer internship program that is designed to give students valuable experience in a professional setting while broadening their knowledge of Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFI’s). Participants may also expand their knowledge of The Center for Responsible Lending (CRL) works which ensures a fair, inclusive financial marketplace that creates opportunities for all credit-worthy borrowers, regardless of their income. Along with each specific intern project, the intern will participate in a series of brownbag lunches to learn more about Self-Help and the Community Development industry as a whole. Interns will also be given the opportunity to network with one another and other Self-Helpers through a variety of planned events.
Self-Help seeks a summer associate to assist in the organization’s efforts to communicate our community engagement and lending activities, both internally and externally. This role will require the application of surveying, writing, content creation, and possibly social media management.
– Learning about Self-Help’s lending operations, data infrastructure, and impact teams.
– Learning about industry best practices with respect to communicating about and highlighting community engagement work.
– Researching and analyzing best practices in community engagement, investor engagement, and social impact communications
– Increasing online membership and online engagement for Self-Help’s alumni network
– Collecting internal and external stories and developing community engagement case studies and communications
– Preparing written, visual, and/or oral presentations and project output.
Credentials, Experience and Skills:
– Enrollment in graduate degree program.
– Interest in community development finance, economic justice, and financial products and services aimed at low-wealth families/communities.
– Strong writing and communication capabilities including verbal communication, content creation, and data storytelling.
– Understanding of social equity issues related to the banking industry (e.g. climate justice, racial justice, regenerative finance).
– Experience with socially responsible finance, impact investing, and community engagement.
– Strong communications and presentations skills.
Please apply for this assignment on our Internship Careers Page. Please upload a thoughtful cover letter describing why you are interested in this internship and a resume with your application. Applications must be submitted by Summer 2022 to ensure consideration.
Self-Help Credit Union was chartered in 1983 to build a network of branches that partner with working families and communities often underserved by the financial marketplace. With over $1.6 billion in assets and serving more than 92,500 members in 32 branches – six in Florida, 22 in North Carolina, three in South Carolina, and one in Virginia – Self-Help Credit Union is one of the fastest-growing community development financial institutions in the country. It is part of the Self-Help family of non-profit organizations whose collective mission is to create and protect ownership and economic opportunity for all. For over 41 years, the national Center for Community Self-Help and its affiliates have provided more than $11 billion in financing to help over 198,000 people buy homes, start and grow businesses, and build wealth. For more information, please visit www.self-help.org.
Self-Help is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons, regardless of race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression (including transgender status), age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, class or family status.