Self-Help/CRL offers a 10-week summer internship program that is designed to give students valuable experience in a professional setting while broadening their knowledge of Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFI’s). Participants may also expand their knowledge of The Center for Responsible Lending (CRL) works which ensures a fair, inclusive financial marketplace that creates opportunities for all credit-worthy borrowers, regardless of their income Along with each specific intern project, the intern will participate in a series of brownbag lunches to learn more about Self-Help and the Community Development industry as a whole. Interns will also be given the opportunity to network with one another and other Self-Helpers through a variety of planned events.
The Federal Policy Intern will help to advance strategies that increase strong consumer protection and responsible lending policies. This assignment may be based in either Washington, DC or Durham, NC.
– Play a key role in federal campaigns, including developing social media toolkits, creating graphics for social media, and participating in campaign strategy development
– Support federal policy team with administrative tasks
– Assist the federal policy team (Ex. Research Congressional members and their districts, create spreadsheets to track information about federal rule comment letters from partner organizations, etc)
– Perform other duties as may be deemed necessary.
Credentials, Experience and Skills:
– Enrollment in undergraduate degree program.
– Preference for rising junior or senior with major in political science or other relevant majors preferred but others will be considered as well.
– Experience with social media platforms (twitter, Instagram, etc)
– Experience developing social media graphics and posts
– Strong writing skills including research, outlining, editing
Please apply for this assignment on our Internship Careers Page or the CRL Careers Page. Please upload a thoughtful cover letter describing why you are interested in this internship and a resume with your application. Applications must be submitted by summer to ensure consideration.
The Center for Responsible Lending (CRL) is a nonprofit, non-partisan organization working to ensure a fair, inclusive financial marketplace that creates opportunities for all. Through research, legal analysis, policy development, and state and national advocacy engagement, CRL fights for economic equity for underserved communities—particularly Black and brown communities and low-to-middle income families. CRL’s staff reflect a collective commitment to eliminating systemic injustice in America’s financial services. Learn more at www.responsiblelending.org.
CRL is an affiliate of Self-Help, a community development lender founded in 1980 that has provided more than $9 billion dollars in financing to help 164,000 low-wealth borrowers buy homes, build businesses, and strengthen community resources.
Self-Help is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons, regardless of race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression (including transgender status), age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, class or family status.