NC IDEA INTERNSHIP PROGRAM FOR UNDER-REPRESENTED ENTREPRENEURS – SUMMER 2020
ABOUT NC IDEA
NC IDEA is a not-for-profit foundation whose mission is to empower North Carolinians to reach their full entrepreneurial potential. We accomplish this mission through grants and mentorship programs for startup founders, and through grants to organizations around the state who help entrepreneurs. Learn more at www.ncidea.org.
Our historical focus has been high-tech, venture backable startups, which meant we worked mostly with companies based in the Research Triangle Park. In 2018, we committed to broaden our reach and intentionally grow our support of under-represented, under-served, and under-resourced entrepreneurs, particularly those in economically distressed counties in North Carolina. One way we want to do this is to provide internship opportunities for under-represented students with the goal of helping to create a more diverse group of future entrepreneurs.
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP
This paid internship will provide a fantastic experience with an organization at the center of North Carolina’s startup ecosystem. You will learn about startups and the organizations across North Carolina that support startups. The specific projects that you will work on will depend on our needs in the summer and your skills and background.
Past NC IDEA interns have worked on:
• Projects that support the work of NC IDEA:
o Researching, updating and analyzing data about the North Carolina entrepreneurial ecosystem and startups around the state
o Improving and updating our website and social media content, including case studies on the companies that receive our grants
o Assisting in the execution of our programs and seminars
• Projects that support one or more of our grantee companies such as:
o Market research or competitive analysis
o Web and social media content
o Other research activities
Key characteristics that we seek are:
• First and foremost, we are looking for undergraduate or graduate students with a keen interest in startups and entrepreneurship, no matter what your major, as demonstrated by having taken an introduction to entrepreneurship class, started a business, worked at a startup, or some other specific way
• Skill or interest in one of the many areas that could be useful to NC IDEA or one of our startups
• A desire, following graduation, to become involved in a startup company or organization supporting startups in North Carolina.
• You must identify as a female, person of color, or reside in a hometown in a Tier 1 or Tier 2 economically distressed county of North Carolina. (https://www.nccommerce.com/grants-incentives/county-distress-rankings-tiers). Representing more than one of these criteria is a plus.
The position is 40 hours per week and requires a commitment of 10 weeks during the summer. Exact dates are flexible to meet the student’s schedule. The salary is $15/hour. If applicable, interns may also receive class credit for this work and are responsible for making those arrangements with their instructor(s).
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a cover letter and resume that are specifically tailored for this opportunity, along with an unofficial transcript at our application site: https://www.tfaforms.com/4776205
The application deadline is Friday, January 17. Interviews will take place in late January and early February with selection by the end of February.