J-1 visa holders

All information pertaining specific information on your J-1 visa will be sent directly to your email.

For general information on the J-1 visa, please visit Duke Visa Services and U.S. Department of State.

Below is a high-level overview of the incoming student J-1 visa process:

1. Nomination: Your home institution has nominated you to attend Fuqua on exchange.
  2. DVS application: Receive e-mail from Carolyn Gilbert with a password to Duke Visa Services’ (DVS) on-line Webform system. Complete and submit all materials requested in the email.
  3. Visa Document: Receive a Form DS-2019 from Duke Visa Services.
  4. SEVIS Fee: Pay the SEVIS fee.
  5. Visa Stamp: Make an appointment at the US Embassy or Consulate to apply for a visa stamp.
  6. Obtain Visa Stamp: Go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for your visa stamp interview with all documentation as required by that post. Review the issued visa stamp for accuracy.
  7. Travel: Make arrangements to arrive in the U.S. no earlier than 30 days prior to your program start date. Upon entry be prepared to present your passport, DS-2019, proof of finances, SEVIS payment receipt, and name and contact information of your DVS Advisor. (Do not put these documents in your checked luggage.)
  8. Enter the U.S.: Present to U.S. Customs and Border Protections official the completed Form I-94 and all documentation listed in #7. If you enter the U.S. by Air or Sea after 4/30/2013, you may not receive a paper Form I-94. Please go to www.cbp.gov/I94 (active as of 4/30/2013) and print a copy of your electronic Form I-94. You will require this number to complete the electronic I-9.
  9. Review Entry Documents: Verify you received your DS-2019 from the official, your passport was stamped with the appropriate date of entry and your correct visa status: J-1, (J-2 for family members) and the notation D/S (Duration of Status). If you receive the I-94, keep it stapled to your passport! If you did not receive an I-94, go to www.cbp.gov/I94 and print a Form I-94.
  10. Register: Attend the Duke Visa Services Registration on the first day of orientation.