As part of our license with ESRI, we have access to a number of useful raster layers that ESRI has assembled. More info on these layers can be read here; http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2013/09/11/welcome-to-esri-landscape-layers/, and these instruction will allow you to use them.
- Open up ArcCatalog (either within ArcMap or by itself).
- Expand the GIS Servers list
- Double click Add ArcGIS server
- In the box that appears:
- Select Use GIS Services and click Next >
- For the server URL enter: https://landscape1.arcgis.com:443/arcgis/rest/services/
- Enter your ArcGIS Online username and password and check the box to save these.
- Click finish.
- A new entry should appear under the ArcGIS Server lists. Expand this list and add features to your map
You can repeat this for the 5 other landscape servers by replacing “landscape1” in the URL with “landscape2”
These are some incredibly useful data sets, both feature (vector) and raster.