Global Health Ethics

This course examines the ethical issues of conducting research on or working with marginalized/stigmatized populations, using theoretical frameworks and case studies. It will investigate ethical choices made by multinational, national and local policymakers, clinicians and researchers, and their impact on individuals, families and communities. An emphasis will be placed on working with community partners to develop needs assessment programs. Other topics include differential standards of care, protection of human subjects, access to essential medicines, genetic information and confidentiality, pharmaceutical development, health information technology, placebo controlled trials, and best outcomes versus distributive justice.

Presenting my research on the benefits of public water allocation for ethical and sustainable development during an in-class poster session.
Relation to my focus on clean water access

When implementing a water project or researching clean water access, it is essential to consider all implications on people from an individual level to a community level, or even larger. Minimizing potential negative consequences will make projects more successful in the long term. Specifically, working with community partners to develop needs assessment programs is a critical element of effectively addressing barriers to water access, and it is important to me that all of my projects incorporate this. This class has prompted me to reflect on my past service experiences in other nations, and has given me tools to make more ethical and informed decisions moving forward. I am confident that it will positively impact the outcomes of my future GCS endeavors.

Course number: GLHLTH 210/PUBPOL330

Professor: Dr. Jeffrey Moe

Start date: January 10, 2018

End date: May 6, 2018

Hours to complete: 100