Instructor: Daniel Parker, MD
Read: Chapter 14: Harm
- List the types of study designs that provide evidence about harm and understand their relative strengths and weaknesses.
- Apply the criteria for harm studies to an article concerning a pertinent geriatric problem.
- Calculate an odds ratio, a relative risk, and number needed to harm (NNH) and understand when each is used.
- Calculate the NNH for death or new mechanical ventilation for hydroxychloquine in the NEJM study
You are a hospitalist managing an 85 y/o Latino patient newly diagnosed with COVID-19 with a new O2 requirement. He’s read that he has a high risk of dying. He tells you he saw the President on TV and the President said that he took hydroxychloroquine which is a good treatment for COVID-19. He wonders why he is not receiving the same treatment. How do you answer this patient?
- Read the article: RECOVERY Collaborative Group, Horby P, Mafham M, et al. Effect of Hydroxychloroquine in Hospitalized Patients with Covid-19. N Engl J Med. 2020;383(21):2030-2040. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa2022926
- Use DUMC Library tools for appraisal of articles on harm