Voting in North CarolinaVoting absentee

What do I need to vote?

Students voting in North Carolina need a “proof of address” paired with a document issued by the school.
Any of the following documents will qualify as a “proof of address”:
  1. North Carolina driver’s license
  2. Other photo ID issued by a government agency
  3. A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document showing the voter’s name and address
  4. A current college/university photo ID card
A document issued by the school, must contain a student’s name and on-campus housing address or facility address. Hardcopy or electronic formats are both acceptable.
Any of the following documents will qualify as a document issued by the school:
  1. Correspondence
  2. Invoice
  3. Transcript
  4. Print-out or screen shot from any official registration or housing portal.
Alternatively, the school may provide CBE with list of on-campus student residents, which an election official may reference in conjunction with a valid student photo ID card as presented by the registrant.

Are There Consequences of Voting in Durham County?

Each student’s situation is different. If you’re from out-of-state, please talk with your parents/guardians and learn about any potential barriers or requirements in your home state and North Carolina by using the Campus Vote Project Student Guide before deciding to register using your university address.

Where Do I Cast My Ballot Here in Durham County?

To find out the location of your polling place on election day in Durham County, simply go to the North Carolina Board of Elections website and confirm your polling place before you leave to vote.

You can look up the closest polling station to you here.

What Are the Qualifications to Vote in North Carolina?

To see the qualifications to vote in North Carolina, visit the North Carolina State Board of Elections website.

How Can I Learn More About the Candidates on My North Carolina Ballot?

You can view your ballot in advance of casting your vote by selecting the link in your voting record when you verify your polling place and then researching the candidates. In addition, you can also consult the North Carolina Nonpartisan Voting Guide.

How do North Carolina Residents Vote Absentee?

Any registered person in North Carolina can request an absentee ballot, no special circumstances are necessary. To do so submit an absentee ballot request form

You will receive the absentee ballot and instructions on how to complete the ballot 50-60 days before the election depending on when the request is submitted.

Return in person to an election official or mail (postmarked) to local election office (address found above under registration information)before 5pm on Friday, October 12 .
More info:

Problems with Voting?

If you encounter problems voting, first ask election officials to speak to the Chief Inspector of the polling place.

If problems persist and you feel that your  rights have been violated contact: (866) OUR-VOTE where on election day lawyers will be there to respond to questions and concerns about voting.

Alternatively, register a complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice at (800) 253–3931 or voting.


Voting while abroad:

Most U.S. citizens 18 years or older who reside outside the United States are eligible to vote absentee for federal office candidates in U.S. primary and general elections. In addition, some states allow overseas citizens to vote for state and local office candidates and referendums. For information about your specific state, visit the FVAP Voting Assistance Guide or the Overseas Vote Foundation website. The Overseas Vote Foundation is a non-partisan voter advocacy organization.

For voting purposes, your state of legal residence is generally the state where you resided immediately before leaving the United States, even if you no longer own or rent property or intend to return in the future. Twenty-four states and the District of Columbia specifically allow U.S. citizens who have never resided in the United States to register where a parent would be eligible to vote. Direct your questions about eligibility to local election officials.

Start by submitting a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) on the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) website,, or the Overseas Vote Foundation website Use the online assistant and carefully follow the instructions for your state to receive a ballot. Include accurate contact details in case there is a problem.

IMPORTANT: U.S. citizens abroad must submit a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) each year to vote in U.S. elections. Submit your FPCA at the beginning of the calendar year, or at least 45 days before an election, to allow ample time to process your request and resolve any problems. Once approved, your name will be put on a list of voters to receive absentee ballots.

Registering to vote Using FPCA

You have two choices for registering while abroad, with either option you can choose to have them send you your absentee ballot by mail or online.

Visit FVAP, select your state and fill out the necessary form online. Print the form and send it using international postage if necessary to your local election official found here (Durham is listed below). Note: Some states allow online voter registration, check here to check if your state is among them.

Walk through an easier version of the process streamlined through the U.S. Vote Foundation, a nonpartisan voter advocacy foundation. Follow the steps and then mail off your registration to your local election official here (Durham is listed below).Local Election Officials for Durham County:Mail: Durham County Board of ElectionsP.O. Box 868Durham, NC 27702-0868Email: DURHAM.boe@ncsbe.govFax: (919) 560-0688To be certain that the election officials have received your forms, check your reservation under your states voter verification website.Note: Registration in this form is only temporary, if you haven’t already registered to vote in your state you’ll need to register through your local election officials at a later time. For help with that visit our voting resources page here.

Receive and Fill Out Your Ballot

Your ballot should arrive 45 days days before the general election and 30 days before primary and special elections for federal offices. Educate yourself on your options, then fill out your ballot printing legibly.

If your ballot doesn’t arrive by 30 days, visit FVAP’s online materials to fill out an Emergency Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB).

How to Send in Your Ballot?

Depending on your state you have a few options:
Mail in your ballot using international postage to your election official.
Fax, email, or complete the form on the internet. Consult the Federal Voting Assistance Guide to check the options for your state. North Carolina receives ballots by email, be sure to include the electronic transmission sheet.

What if it’s less than 30 days before the election and I haven’t yet registered?

While not guaranteed to work, you can fill out Emergency Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) found under FVAP’s online materials to get a ballot in quickly. (I downloaded document)