Thanksgiving in Advent! | Advent December 5, 2018

December 5, 2018

By Olivia Smith ’20

PSALMS 50, 147; ISAIAH 2: 1-4; 1 THESSALONIANS 2:13-20; LUKE 20: 19-26
The main focus in the scripture for today is giving thanks. I know that for me it can be very hard to remember to be thankful for what I have and especially to give thanks to God for all the things for which I have to be thankful. Our society is one that very heavily focuses on the things that are not going very well. We have the news showing us the latest tragedy, our friends talking about all the work they have and how difficult their classes are, and all these other outlets discussing difficult topics like climate change and gun control. All of these are important; however, it is very easy to get so caught up in all the negative things going on around us that we aren’t able to recognize all that we have for which to be thankful. In Psalms 50: 7-15 we can see that God does not want sacrifices of burnt offers or of wild animals, instead God simply wants us to give thanksgiving for what we have been given. While it is sometimes difficult to remember to give thanks and to recognize what we have, it is very important to do so, and it can help create a stronger relationship with God.