Beginnings

There are lots of ways to think about beginnings, about new formation and new creation. Scripture gives us multiple accounts of beginnings:

In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep while the wind from God swept over the face of the waters.  Then God said, ‘Let their be light.’ and there was light.  And God saw that the light was good.”  (Gen 1:1-4)

OR

“In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.  He was in the beginning with God.  All things came into being through him and without him not one thing came into being.  What has come into being through him was life, and the life was the light of all people.” (John 1:1-4)

These passages remind us of God’s abiding presence and creative activity at the outset of the journey.  Beginnings are filled with anticipation and uncertainty but also with a rich sense of expectation for all that God will do and all that we will discover and accomplish.   With that anticipation and excitement comes the challenge of discerning where this road will take you.  Will you follow the path of least resistance?  Will you choose to blaze an uncharted trail?  Will you risk failure?  Will your faith impact your choices?

Songwriter and musician David Bailey explores these questions in his music.  As he was diagnosed with and battled brain cancer, he wrote with honesty about the challenge of discernment along the road.  Standing at the beginning of a difficult and uncertain journey, his words captured that sense of the unknown where faith and doubt converge.   You can listen to his song here or read the lyrics below.

I don’t know where this road is going;
Don’t know when I will arrive.
Don’t know why it’s taking so long;
I’m just trying to learn the drive. 

I don’t know what I’m supposed to find there;
Don’t know who I’m supposed to be.
Don’t know how I’m gonna manage;
I’m just trying to believe.

I’ve got dozens of doubts on my doorstep.
I’ve walked 100 miles in a blind man’s shoes.
So if it seems like I don’t know where I’m going,
I’m just trying to believe in you.

As you begin a new school year, I invite you to consider how engaging your faith in Christian community might help you wrestle with these questions.  Stop by one of the Welcome Week Events on the calendar, “like” the Westminster Fellowship Facebook page, or add yourself to the list serve and  join us as we begin together and set forth on an unknown road trusting that God goes with us along the way and training our eyes to see the ways that God’s creative act propels us forth from beginning into the joyful adventure of life.