Engineers of the Future

I must say, one of the most rewarding parts of our trip for me was the opportunity to visit one of the local primary schools and see some future engineers, doctors, and scientists in action. One thing is for certain, they were just as excited to see us as we were to see them. The moment they saw us, their focus left their teacher and we were greeted with waves, hellos, and a multitude of smiles. It was truly amazing to see how eager they were to learn. I was a bit surprised to see how many children were in each classroom and how few school supplies they had at their disposal. Growing up in a country where you have access to nearly unlimited resources, you often forget that everyone is not as fortunate, and you subconsciously develop a tendency to take things for granted. That was certainly an eye opening moment for me, that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. Despite lacking certain resources, these students didn’t let that stop them from learning and their smiles grew larger the more their teacher engaged them. Their youthful answers in unison to the questions their teacher asked them could be heard before we even entered the classroom. It was great to see such enthusiasm and passion for learning at such a young age. I look forward to see what the future holds for these students, as they grow and work to solve problems of not only Uganda, but of the world.

Picture: Jerrod Brown
Post: Jerrod Brown