Who Are We

2021-2022 Executive Committee:

President: Will Pohlman (MS4)

Hello! My name is Will Pohlman and my pronouns are he/him/his. I am an MS4 serving as President for the 2021-2022 academic year. I grew up in Prairie Grove, AR and completed undergrad at the University of Arkansas. I am applying into Internal Medicine residency, with an early interest in cardiology. I am excited to build a community and advocate for sexual and gender minority students at Duke SOM. Please reach out and let me know how I can help you!

Treasurer: Alex Stonehill (MS2)

Hi everyone! My name is Alex Stonehill (she/her/hers) and I’m the Treasurer for DukeMed Pride. I’m an MS1 from Norwalk, CT. I studied Evolutionary Anthropology at Duke and got my MPH from Imperial College London. I lived and worked abroad for a few years before coming back to Durham because I missed it too much. I love hiking, exploring Durham’s shops and restaurants, and pretending to be good at taking care of plants. I’m excited to work with DukeMed Pride this year!

Secretary: Alex Sizemore (MS1)

Hey! My name is Alex Sizemore (he/him) and I am the Secretary for DukeMed Pride! I’m interested in exploring the barriers to receiving healthcare and expanding access through policy. As a member of DukeMed Pride, I hope to increase visibility and representation of LGBTQ medical students and physicians. Beyond medical school, I love trying new restaurants and bars, playing tennis, doing power yoga, and spending time outside (especially if it involves swimming)! I grew up in South Carolina and completed my undergrad at Davidson College in North Carolina before moving to Boston during my gap year.

Social Chair: James Giarraputo (MS4)

Hi everyone! I’m James, my pronouns are he/him/his, I’m originally from Long Island, NY, and I’ll be applying into Neurology. After serving as Pride President for a year, I’m super excited to be working to build community within the queer community of Duke Med as Social Chair. Reach out to me if there are any social events you would like to see happen!

Community Engagement and Advocacy Chair: Alexis Domeracki (MS3)

Hello everyone!  My name is Alexis (she/her/hers) and I am the Community Engagement and Advocacy Coordinator for DukeMed Pride this year.  I am passionate about bridging connections between the Duke and Durham LGBTQIA+ community through local advocacy work.  I am originally from a suburb of Chicago and attended college at Miami University in Ohio.  This year I will be conducting research and helping to teach clinical skills to the MS1 class!  Outside of medical school I enjoy playing music, hiking, biking, and reading anything non-medical!

Admissions Chair: Daniel Villalobos (MS3)

Mentorship Coordinators: Vivian Chen (MS1) (Left) & Michael Ivey (MS1) (Right)

Hi! My name is Vivian (she/her) and I am an MS1 serving as one of the Mentorship Coordinators for DukeMed Pride this year. My family has been living in Germany for the past decade, but I also grew up moving around the US and Canada. I went to Duke for undergrad (c/o 2020) and spent the last year in Germany working in industry and tutoring. In my free time, I enjoy yoga, kickboxing classes, listening to music on a nice long walk, and exploring restaurants in Durham with friends. I’m excited to foster connections between the medical school and the wider Duke community this year!

Hello everyone! My name is Michael Ivey (he/him/his), and I was born and raised in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I double majored in chemistry and Spanish at the University of Michigan. I am an MS1, and as of now I am interested in going into radiology, but that could all change. LGBTQ+ mentorship has been influential in nearly every aspect of my life, and I hope to enrich mentorship here within the Duke community. Feel free to reach out anytime!

Queer Arts Coordinator: Lucy Zheng (MS1)

Hi! My name is Lucy Zheng (she/her/hers), and I’m an MS1 from McLean, VA excited to serve as the Queer Arts Coordinator this year. I went to Duke for undergrad and then went straight through to Duke Med. In my free time, I love making art, singing and listening to music, baking, and exploring Durham’s incredible food scene with friends!

Faculty Advisor: Dane Whicker, PhD

Hello! My name is Dane Whicker (He/Him/His), and I have the privilege of being the Faculty Advisor for DukeMed Pride. I love meeting new people and making connections that turn into mentorship relationships. I am passionate about teaching for equity and anti-racism, particularly with our SOM students. My other passions include getting involved with the community, advancing multidisciplinary clinical practice, and pushing the needle on systemic issues to make Duke the best it can be for LGBTQ+ people. Officially, I’m a clinical health psychologist, working with transgender youth and adults going through medical transition. I’m also the Director of LGBTQ+ Initiatives within Duke SOM’s Office for Diversity and Inclusion, and the Co-Director for Duke CTSI’s Equity in Research Core. I enjoy living in Durham with my husband, Jeff, and our “special needs” retired show dog, Rhett, who has helped me learn more about neurology and cardiology than I ever wanted to know!