Meet the Coaches

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2025

Hello! I’m a bisexual mixed-race Asian American woman from the South majoring in psychology. I am passionate about mental health and I hope to be a therapist in the future. I have struggled with anxiety, depression, and ADHD for several years, and through therapy I have gotten better at coexisting with these issues. In my free time, I enjoy listening to musicals, drawing cartoons, and playing casual video games. As a peer coach, I hope I can connect with and help people on campus. I am here for you – let’s work through this together! 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2026

Hi everyone!! I am an Asian, panromantic/aroace spectrum, female-identifying student on the pre-med track. I’ve struggled with social anxiety, loneliness, perfectionism, depressive episodes, body image, and coming to terms with my personal identities. I also grew up in an environment where mental health was heavily stigmatized and constant competition/comparison forced a lot of pressure on me. Thankfully, I found a lot of comfort in my friends with similar experiences as me. I realized how validating it can feel simply to have someone be willing to listen to you, no matter how big or small the issue, which is why I wanted to join DukeLine! College (and just life in general) is not easy, especially if we feel like we have to go through things alone. So, as a coach, I hope that I can support you in ways that help you feel more understood, heard, and comforted. We are all here to listen, learn, and be there for each other as equals 🙂

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2026

Hey, I’m an Asian American, cisgender, heterosexual male from the Northeast. My parents are both immigrants from mainland China, I have two younger siblings, and I’m double majoring in Computer Science and Psychology (came in as ECE). I have major aspirations of becoming a therapist or mental health counselor in the future, and I have additional interests in sports, the outdoors, and dance. Now some deeper things about me: I am an overthinker, overly sensitive, and I used to be a huge people pleaser. At Duke, I’ve been involved in the disciplinary action process with the Office of Student Conduct, and I’ve been in therapy for my problematic cognitive thought processes and panic attacks. I’ve also struggled with combating cultural differences and unfaithful romantic partners. Please reach out 🙂 I’d love to talk to you, no matter what the topic is, how big or how small. I know just how precious it is to have that someone out there to listen to you. That’s why I joined DukeLine: to be here for you.

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2024

Hi y’all! I am a straight, black male from the South, and I am an athlete as well. I am very passionate about all things psychology and mental health, and I enjoy talking to people about anything and everything, which is why I became a peer health coach! I have learned a lot from living with ADHD and anxiety and have had some struggles with grief/loss of a loved one, and balancing school, work, and athletics. Having someone to talk to in any situation may be really helpful, and I am happy to listen to you in order to navigate your experiences.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2026

Hi! I am an Asian, female, first-generation student on the pre-med track. Coming to Duke was a culture shock and I experienced how hard it is to adapt to college and immerse yourself in a whole new community. It can be easy to feel isolated and even easier to disguise your emotions in this rigorous environment. Sometimes, all you need is a conversation to get things off your chest. Hopefully, I can provide some sort of comfort and help you navigate new experiences and opportunities.”

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2025

Hi there! I’m a Psychology major minoring in Chemistry. I suffered from anorexia throughout the pandemic and through my freshman year at Duke. I spent my summer in recovery and am now fully recovered. I have firsthand experience with how difficult and all-consuming mental health issues can be. I was also diagnosed with ADHD this semester, so I identify as neurodiverse and know what it’s like to not understand why you’re different from everyone else around you. My goal as a coach is to be a genuine peer and to help others realize their strengths, while validating how difficult being a student at Duke can be.

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2024

Hello! I am from Atlanta. I am on a sports team here at Duke. It is often very hard to find a place and feel comfortable at Duke. Adapting to college life and academics can be quite hard. I am very excited to chat about anything, and support you in many ways! Feel free to reach out. 

any pronouns

CLASS OF 2025

Hi there! I am a Black, queer, neurodivergent junior at Duke, and I am majoring in psychology on the pre-med track. I’ve struggled with numerous psychological challenges since I was young, including social anxiety, OCD, and anhedonia/depression (no, this is not the only reason I decided to major in psych lol). Thanks to the work I’ve been putting in since coming here—therapy, self-acceptance, etc.—I am now much better at managing these conditions! Still, it has often been a very lonely and isolating journey, especially growing up in an environment where I did not feel emotionally or socially supported. I joined DukeLine because I strongly believe that no one should have to suffer alone, no matter how small or insignificant their struggles and feelings might seem.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

Navigating through the ups and downs of life can be challenging, especially when dealing with emotions and stressors. You are not alone. As someone who has personally experienced the difficulties of depression and the struggle to find a sense of belonging at Duke, I understand how overwhelming it can feel. I’m here to offer my support and lend an empathetic ear to anyone who may be going through a similar experience. Let’s navigate this journey together.

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2024

Hey everyone! I am a straight, white, cisgender male who has lived all around the US. I am majoring in Psychology and studying the Markets & Management Certificate as well. Moving around so much brought about challenges with belonging and finding good friends. At Duke, I struggle with academic and athletic pressures as a student athlete, and a constant battle with social comparison given Duke students’ ‘effortless perfection’. I love talking about health/fitness/wellbeing, music, art, food, and fashion. However, as someone who has dealt with imposter syndrome, perfectionism, procrastination, anxiety, and stress, I am always learning and gathering mental health tools to help me become the best resource I can be for myself and others. I am a massive proponent of leaning on others in times of need, and that is the reason why I became a coach.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

Hi! I am a white, female-identifying student. I am majoring in psychology with a minor in education, and I am really interested in how mental health plays a role in both of these subjects. I have struggled with things like homesickness, anxiety, academic stress, relationships, and more and want to help you through struggles like these. I am here to support you and happy to talk to you about hardships or just be there to listen!

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

Hey everyone! I am majoring in Psychology and minoring in chemistry. I am a straight, cisgender, white, female athlete and am an advocate for removing the stigma associated with mental health. College is a tricky time for so many reasons, and at a school like Duke I understand how the pressures can build up and be overwhelming at times. No one should have to navigate difficult situations alone, and so I want to be a supportive outlet to anyone who wants it! I hope to be as helpful as I can be for anyone who wants to utilize DukeLine as a resource on campus. 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2026

Hi! I am a straight, female student, and I am half white and half Latina. I am majoring in Global Health and Public Policy with a Spanish minor. I am really interested in mental health, especially due to my personal struggles with depression and social anxiety. I also have struggled a lot with body image as a dancer and know that it can be incredibly challenging to navigate these unrealistic body standards. I really enjoy listening to others and discussing mental health, and I think it is so important that we are able to authentically share our experiences and find support, especially at a perfectionistic school like Duke. As a coach, I hope to be a resource and help other students feel seen and understood!

she/they

CLASS OF 2026

Hey everyone, I’m a cis, pansexual East Asian student from the deep south! I’m also a first-gen pre-med Neuroscience major who really likes cars (although I know nothing about mechanics) and cold weather. In my free time, I like to go ice-skating or watching movies in my friend’s cozy room, especially when I’m struggling with the pre-med track, a loss in family from the past, or when all the little things pile up. I became a coach because I know being listened to can be really stress-relieving, even if it’s by someone you don’t know. Hopefully, us Dukeline coaches can be this person for you!

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2025

Hi! I’m a premed student who understands firsthand the arduous struggles of trying to find balance between a challenging workload and enjoying and exploring everything else that college has to offer.  I hope to be a teammate and a friend for my peers in overcoming whatever obstacles may arise on their journeys through school and beyond.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

Hello, I am so excited about the opportunity to serve the Duke community by being a coach who gets the honor of seeing and validating individuals who crave to be understood in their various life struggles. A bit about me: I identify as biracial (half-black, half-white) and have had to navigate finding community that reflects and embraces my identity. I also have been clinically diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and am more than comfortable being a compassionate, empathetic, listening ear to someone struggling with anxiety and intrusive thoughts, because I GET IT. Together, you and I can work through any negative emotions you may be dealing with and reframe any distressing mindsets that aren’t benefiting you. On each of my DukeLine shifts, I will be grateful for the privilege/honor of reminding fellow Blue Devils (undergraduates, graduate students, and alumni alike) that life is in fact hard, but they are NOT alone in the fight. I care, and I am here to help!!! 🙂

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

Hey! I am a straight, female athlete that is majoring in Psychology. I suffer from constant homesickness, an overwhelming feeling in not being enough, anxiety, and body image issues. I am passionate about helping people find their purpose and meaning so they can lead fulfilling and authentic lives. I don’t have it all figured out and that’s okay. I am here to support you anyway I can!

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2026

Hey!! I’m a bisexual, white, female majoring in psychology with a minor in global health.  I joined DukeLine because I have used it myself and can vouch that it is so helpful.  Further, over the course of my life, I have personally struggled with anxiety, depression, perfectionism, and eating disorders.  For me, talking through my thoughts and feelings was a major contributor to helping me recover/cope, and I want to be there to help others.  Of course, I am still learning every day how to better manage my own struggles and acquiring new mental health tools.  Everyone deserves to be listened to and to have a support system, and we can get through anything when we have others to encourage us.  I’m here for you, and we can get through whatever you are dealing with together :).

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2024

Hi everyone! I am a biracial (Indian/white), cisgender, heterosexual male from New York. I am a senior pursuing a major in Political Science and a certificate in Markets and Management. One of the reasons I wanted to join DukeLine is because my time at Duke has been a rollercoaster. I came in as a freshman feeling very homesick and struggled with the transition to college, especially as someone who did not experience much change growing up. I tried my best to immerse myself in different organizations/meet different people, and I hope the knowledge I gained can help guide you all. Furthermore, some of my closest friends and family have struggled with a variety of mental health issues, and I believe it is extremely important to talk about these issues. No topic is off-limits, so please reach out. College is not easy by any means and we all deserve to be heard. 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

Hi! I am a straight, Asian, female-identifying student in my third year. The experience of studying abroad is not easy for me, as I constantly struggle with my language, my self-identity, loneliness, homesickness, social anxiety, and culture shock. Moreover, balancing work and entertainment, making new friends and maintaining old ones, trying to fit in while wanting to have personal space, and navigating future academic and career path can all be so stressful. I get you. I’ve been there, and I’m probably still there. So come to us if you think you need a little extra help in your life! You’ll never know how sharing your struggles with someone else can really help.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

Hi! My pronouns are she/her, and I am a black sophomore from the DMV majoring in dance and psychology. Having been diagnosed with social anxiety in the eighth grade, the topic of mental health has always been present in my life. While receiving the label of SAD allowed me to start finding ways to cope and improve, the actual process of seeking therapy was difficult. The difficulties I had in the search for a therapist drove me to begin studying psychology with the hopes of being able to help others in the way I wish had been years ago. Today, I work as a peer health coach to try and accomplish this on a smaller scale. Through my work, I hope to let you all know that you are not alone. Whether you would like advice or just someone to talk to I am here for you! 

he/they

CLASS OF 2025

Hey there! I am a bisexual, Black man that is first-gen and majoring in Psychology and Theater Studies co-major. I have worked in social behavior and early cognition labs here on campus and have interests in how we interact with one another, especially those who differ from our own personal demographics. I have definitely been met with my fair share of moments feeling out of place with my intersectionality—being Black and queer.  I know how hard it can be allowing yourself the liberty to be comfortable as your complete self and I aim to help others live their truth and talk through their struggles as needed. Being the eldest of three, I was often used as the additional parent of the household and can speak to feelings of having to “adult” earlier and issues with family members. As a coach, I really hope to leave you with a more open mind and some tangible skills that can be applicable to multiple aspects of your life.

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2024

I am a straight, white male from Boston, Massachusetts. Over my four years at Duke (as well as a lot in high school), I have had personal experience talking to friends who have struggled with depression, anxiety, and guilt. My goal in being a coach is to make sure people know they have a place to be heard and that they are not alone however they may be feeling. I really like baseball and football, love listening to classic rock, and am a Classics minor. As a coach, I want to be there for you guys through any situation that may be troubling you. All the coaches want to listen and provide resources at Duke that can be helpful to you. 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

Hi! I am a white, cis, heterosexual, female-identifying sophomore from the east coast. I have struggled with the stress of being pre-med, friend issues, imposter syndrome, social anxiety, and eating problems. I hope to be able to be there for my peers in the Duke community that may be going through similar situations or those that may need someone non-judgmental to talk to. I am still working on balancing my mental health and school life, and I decided to join the DukeLine to be able to help others with this as well. 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

Hey! I am a biracial (Black/White) first-generation college student from a lower-income background. As a peer coach, I am here to listen and support you. I have experienced (and sometimes still experience) homesickness, being in a long-distance relationship, financial stress, feeling overwhelmed, the uncertainty of my life plans, struggling with confidence, social comparison, and feeling alone. Whatever the situation, we are all here for you whether you need to vent, want more guidance, etc. 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

I am a white, cis, heterosexual female-identifying student. Issues I have been challenged with in the past (or continue to face) include: body image, having a healthy relationship with food, relationships, hook-ups, surface-level friendships, loneliness, test anxiety, and financial hardship. I joined DukeLine so that my peers can have a place that they are comfortable being vulnerable. Asking for help was a scary step for me to take personally, and I hope the anonymity and accessibility of DukeLine helps to alleviate some of this pressure for Duke students. I am here to listen to you, support you, and help you navigate any struggles that you might be experiencing. 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

I am a straight, female-identifying senior from South Asia. I grew up in a relatively underprivileged part of the world and throughout my time at Duke, I have constantly questioned whether I was doing enough because so many people in my country would kill for this opportunity. Over the years, I have struggled with low self-esteem, feelings of loneliness, negative body-image, anxiety, homesickness, and financial pressures. My goal as a coach is to be there for you, be a listening ear and a sounding board, help you navigate challenging times, and to connect you with amazing Duke resources when appropriate. Some fun things about me: I love food, have been horseback riding since I was 5, and am a Sufi poetry enthusiast. 

Coach Alumni

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

Hi! I’m a straight, Hispanic, female on the pre-med track. Issues I have struggled with include anxiety, depression, disordered eating, imposter syndrome, friendship issues, and financial hardships (which have been exacerbated due to the stresses of life at Duke). I’m passionate about mental health, and as a coach I strive to help my peers feel understood in their unique experiences on campus. We all have tough times in our lives, so I’m here to listen if you want someone to talk to!

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

I’m a third-year student at Duke and my pronouns are she/her/hers. I will be majoring in Psychology with a minor in creative writing. I have been diagnosed with many mental illnesses and I know how important it is to talk openly and honestly about mental health. Sure, having mental health resources on campus is important, but they don’t do anything if students don’t want to use them. That’s exactly why I want to be a coach. We are accessible and real, and we understand the experiences of Duke students.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

Hi! I am a straight, Hispanic, female-identifying, junior from Texas. I’m a pre-med student and also have worked in labs on campus surrounding mental health topics. Especially after arriving on campus, I have worked through anxiety, depression, and disordered eating. I understand how isolating campus can feel sometimes, and I joined as a coach because I wanted to help support anyone who may need someone to talk to on campus. My goal as a coach is to help my peers feel as understood, seen, and comfortable as possible when they reach out to DukeLine.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

Hi! I am a straight, Asian, female-identifying junior, and my pronouns are she/her/hers. I have struggled with transitioning into the college life and managing the stress and emotions that come with academic work and social pressures. I am really passionate about mental health, and I am here to support you in any way I can.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

Hi, I am a straight, cisgender, white, female junior here at Duke. Long before coming to college, I struggled with eating disorders, anxiety, and depression, which have resurfaced and transformed under the stresses of college life. I am passionate about singing and most all music (just not country, no offense intended.) Since coming to Duke, I’ve struggled with finding an academic path, uncertainty about my career, roommate conflict, and balancing social life with schoolwork and self-care. I’m looking forward to continuing learning about other students’ experiences and to fostering more supportive and compassionate community on campus.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

Hi Friends! I’m a Muslim, Arab, female-identifying, first-generation international student in my third year. Coming here from the Middle East as a freshman, I often found it hard to find my place at Duke. I struggled with social anxiety and imposter syndrome, which made it even more challenging to build friendships and connect with people as deeply as I crave. More than two years later, it still feels isolating at times, but I’ve learned to be more proactive about my mental health when dealing with such feelings, which made a difference. Seeking an empathetic ear is indeed a big step. As an upperclassman DukeLine mental health peer coach, I am looking forward to listen to your story and share mine, in hopes that you find some relevance in it.

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2023

Hey, I’m a Latinx, cisgender, heterosexual male from the South West. I’m from a low-income, first generation, and single parent household, and I’m studying Psychology and Philosophy with a minor in Creative Writing. I have major aspirations of becoming a therapist or mental health counselor in the future, and I have additional interests in music, politics, and gaming. Based on my personal experiences, some of the issues you might be facing that I can relate to include: college life as a first-gen/low-income student, indecision around major and career choices, social life as an introvert, long distance relationships, imposter syndrome, financial hardship, social anxiety, finding purpose, and presentation anxiety. I became a DukeLine coach because I genuinely believe talking about our problems with people who can relate is immensely valuable and because I want to play a part in helping Duke students transition into and succeed in college. So, please feel free to reach out!

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2023

I am an Asian American male from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. I decided to become a coach because I really like connecting with people and want to help people however I can!

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

Hi Friends! I’m a straight, muslim, Asian, female-identifying junior, international student. I am very passionate about psychology. I love to talk to people and help them, I am a good listener and if you need to talk to someone I am here for you. I think when you go through hard times it is not a shame to ask for a support. We all experience hard times and together we can go through anything. Sincerely, your DukeLine Peer- Coach. 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

Hello! I am a straight, black, female-identifying senior from St.Louis, MO and I use she/her/hers pronouns. During my time at Duke I’ve battled imposter syndrome and feelings of being not enough. As a leader on campus I’ve also had to deal with overwhelming amounts of work that induces anxiety, stress and feelings of burnout. Socially and romantically I’ve dealt with challenges of sexual assault , toxic relationships and gaslighting. My goal as a coach is to show you empathy and lend you an ear. I want to be someone you feel comfortable leaning on and create a space free of judgment. I hope to help you find resources on and off campus that will allow you to thrive in the best way possible during your time at Duke!

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2023

Hello! I’m a junior at Duke majoring in Psychology. I identify as a cis, heterosexual, biracial (Black and White), male from the Northeast US. Coming from a small, close-knit, rigorous, and structured high school, my Duke experience certainly hasn’t been short of adjustments. During my time at Duke, a few things I’ve struggled with include: my mental health, relationships, feeling disconnected and lonely, academic stress, and how to best balance my personal, social, and academic goals. I joined DukeLine because navigating this stage in our lives is far from easy and no one should have to experience these hardships and conflicts alone or without support. No matter what’s on your mind, I’m here for you. Some other things I enjoy are: walks in the gardens, being around friends, dogs, and sports (mostly football and basketball but I’ll dabble). 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2022

I am an Asian-identifying senior and go by she/her/hers pronouns. What I have been through or helped someone else through makes me want to do this work: stress as a pre-med student, feeling overwhelmed, not knowing where and how to get involved with opportunities on campus, culture shock adjusting to college, struggles as an international student, uncertainty due to undecided major, sleep disturbances, loneliness, feeling left out, and struggles in romantic relationships and breakups.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2022

I am a straight, wasian (asian/white), heterosexual, cisgendered female from California. I am currently a senior and a pre-med student. I grew up in a very high pressured environment in high school, and coming to Duke I felt the presence of constant high expectations even more so. Throughout my time in college I have grappled with anxiety, motivation and figuring out my own personal identity. I joined DukeLine because navigating college is not easy for anyone and I want to be the resource that I never had for anyone struggling with their own experiences.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2022

Hello! I’m a senior at Duke majoring in Psychology. I identify as cis, heterosexual, Asian American, and female, and am from the Northeast US. My time at Duke has definitely not been perfect. During these past 4 years, I’ve struggled with a lot of things: my mental health, relationships, feelings of loneliness, academic stress, and time management, just to name a few. If any of that resonates with you, I would be happy to talk with you about it (or anything at all, for that matter). That’s why I became a coach— I didn’t want anyone to have to feel like they needed to go through Duke alone. Whether you need a friend or just someone to talk to, I’m here for you. Some more things about me: I’m a big plant mom, I love coffee (a little too much), and I’m a dog person (but mostly by default, since I’m pretty allergic to cats). I would be happy to talk to you about any of these things as well. 🙂

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2022

Hi, I’m a white male from the west coast, my pronouns are he/him/his. Since moving across the country my freshman year, I’ve experienced a lot of changes here that have challenged me and my close friends as we tried to keep up with academic, career, physical and mental health demands. I hope to be there for you on those hard days and provide all the support that I can.

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2022

I am a first-generation, biracial (Asian/Black), male senior at Duke, and I love music, anime, and the color purple. My past few years here have felt like a never-ending struggle. I’ve dealt with mental health issues long before coming to college, but Duke’s social and academic stressors certainly didn’t make things easier. One of the things that brought me solace at my worst times was simply feeling like I wasn’t alone, like there was a way to move forward. My goal as a coach is to help my peers feel understood, or at least heard. I hope to help you find ways to not only cope with but transcend your hardships. With the abundance of resources at our disposal, I know that we can get through this together.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2022

Hi! I am a Latina-identifying senior who moved to the States from South America during high school. I have experienced many different and difficult challenges at Duke: a first gen/ low income student, career choices, sexual assault, anxiety, depression, grief, etc. I have learned to make decisions that make me happy and benefit my wellness journey, and I would like to help my peers make the best choices for themselves, too. 

I have two dogs, a ton of plants, I practice yoga and meditation, and do work with Reiki energy healing. I love everything wellness related and want to share what I have found to be helpful at Duke and beyond with you! I promise to listen to you like a friend and give guidance as such. Your voice deserves to be heard.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2022

I am a straight, white, female-identifying senior from the east coast. I have had personal experience with a range of issues such as depression, chronic panic attacks, disordered eating, difficulty focusing, and financial hardship.
Being a coach for DukeLine is so important for me, as I want to help peers to learn how to best work through difficulties that come their way while at Duke. One of my favorite quotes is “even when the dark comes crashing through; when you need a friend to carry you; when you’re broken on the ground– you will be found” from Dear Evan Hansen, and I truly believe that a hotline like DukeLine will help so many people to be “found.”

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2022

I am a biracial (Asian/white), cisgender, heterosexual male from the southeastern region of the United States. I’m also a junior and a pre-med student. I had a really difficult time adjusting to life in college, and unfortunately, I have experienced my share of loss and hardship throughout the three years I’ve been at Duke. Because of this, I decided to join the DukeLine team so that I can help other students make their way through college while dealing with the trials and tribulations of life.

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2022

Hi! I am a white, cis, heterosexual male-identifying junior from the Midwest US. At Duke, I have struggled with transitioning into college life, creating and maintaining stable friendships, grief and loss, and feeling like I do not belong/fit in. I joined DukeLine because I know that this program is something that would have been very helpful to me, and I could not pass up the opportunity to assist other students who similarly struggle in a tangible way.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2022

I’m a straight, white, female-identifying junior from the South and my pronouns are she/her/hers. During my past two years at Duke, I’ve struggled with roommate conflicts, uncertainty about choosing a career, and an early sleep schedule that makes it difficult to maintain a college social life or stay awake later in the day. I’m also still working to balance my academic coursework with extracurricular activities and my own social and mental wellbeing.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2021

Hello! I am a first-generation, working-class senior at Duke. I’m originally from the deep south, and I have experience with a range of issues that are, unfortunately, common to undergraduates at Duke, such as: roommate conflict, relationship problems, death of a loved one/grief, job/school (im)balance, rape/sexual assault, binge eating behavior, childhood abuse/traumatic memories, difficulty focusing, and poor academic performance.
I decided to become a peer-coach because I want to offer an ear to those struggling on campus. I would also like to connect struggling students with the wonderful resources Duke has to offer. If there’s anything I would like my fellow classmates to know, it’s this: we are here to listen, and we want to listen.

Identities: woman, orphan (since age 15), working class/first generation, white, sexual abuse/assault survivor, pre-med, full-time worker, cat mom

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2021

Hello! My pronouns are she/her, and I am a Jewish senior from the South. I have faced a lot of difficulties during my time here at Duke, including sexual assault, academic struggles as a pre-med student (hello Orgo2), interpersonal problems with my roommate, difficulty sleeping, a new diagnosis of PCOS after struggling with weight gain, figuring out how to stay healthy while a student on campus, the death of my beloved childhood dog, and simply dealing with a global pandemic throwing all of my plans into disarray. My goal in joining DukeLine as a Peer Coach is to help you cope, like I have had to learn to do, with uncertainty, stress, trauma, self-doubt, illness, anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or literally anything else that may come your way during your time at Duke. Everyone deserves support and to be heard, especially when things get overwhelming. I am here to listen and provide resources when you feel like you need them. 

You matter.

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2021

Hey! I’m an Asian, cis, heterosexual male-identifying senior and an international student at Duke. I went through some difficult years adjusting to school and social life in America when I first moved here when I was 15. I felt like an outsider and was desperately trying to fit into social groups and find where I belong. Because of this, I’ve often wrestled with loneliness, anxiety, self-doubt, and an inability to forgive myself. During my struggles, thankfully, a few friends offered tremendous support and lifted me up. 

I have decided to be a peer-coach because I have learned the importance of empathy and friendship. I’d love to help other students via my listening and my voice. I’ve been saved by people who cared about my struggles and empathically listened to my stories. I want to do the same to others.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2021

I care about support for those who are struggling since I have experienced how difficult it can be to access effective mental health services for those in underfunded areas or for those with poorly researched issues.

Identities: Biracial (black & white), cisgender, fluid sexuality, low-socioeconomic status upbringing, history of anxiety and depression

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2021

I am an international student, senior and psychology major at Duke. I identify as bisexual and female, and so I go by she/her/hers. As a victim of rape and emotional abuse myself, I never had great experiences with response teams or hotlines, often finding them condescending and experiencing consequent victim blaming. I never want anyone to have to go through this in their time of need; I am here to listen to you whenever you may need, offer the appropriate resources you feel comfortable accessing and validate any emotions you may feel.

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2021

I use he/his pronouns, I’m a senior and a cis white heterosexual man from the midwest part of the US. At Duke I’ve struggled to find my social balance, and ways to center my mental health through the maze of resources and referrals endemic to the institution. I’m passionate about helping others on DukeLine because I wish I would have had something like this during those struggles and I want to do my part to help make campus a better place for everyone.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2021

Hi, there. I’m a woman (she/her/hers) from the Southwest that is studying to become a nurse. But most importantly, I am here to support you through a variety of challenges you may be facing, which can be hard to cope with amidst the work-hard-play-hard atmosphere on campus. I, too, have needed support in college, specifically for disordered eating, anxiety, loneliness, forming healthy habits, academic performance, and ADHD. So please reach out! We are here for you for all these issues and many more.