Meet the Coaches

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

Hello! My pronouns are she/her/hers and I am an International student at Duke. The past year has been a bit rocky for all of us; it definitely has not been easy for me to adapt to time differences and stay as motivated at home. I am very passionate about mental health and have joined DukeLine to be able to support the Duke community. As a part of the DukeLine team, my primary goal is to be there for you through anything that may come your way at Duke. We are all here to listen and provide resources if you would like them.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

I’m a third-year student at Duke and my pronouns are she/her/hers. I will be majoring in Psychology with a minor in creative writing. I have been diagnosed with many mental illnesses and I know how important it is to talk openly and honestly about mental health. Sure, having mental health resources on campus is important, but they don’t do anything if students don’t want to use them. That’s exactly why I want to be a coach. We are accessible and real, and we understand the experiences of Duke students.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

Hi! I am a straight, Hispanic, female-identifying, junior from Texas. I’m a pre-med student and also have worked in labs on campus surrounding mental health topics. Especially after arriving on campus, I have worked through anxiety, depression, and disordered eating. I understand how isolating campus can feel sometimes, and I joined as a coach because I wanted to help support anyone who may need someone to talk to on campus. My goal as a coach is to help my peers feel as understood, seen, and comfortable as possible when they reach out to DukeLine.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

Hi! I am a straight, Asian, female-identifying junior, and my pronouns are she/her/hers. I have struggled with transitioning into the college life and managing the stress and emotions that come with academic work and social pressures. I am really passionate about mental health, and I am here to support you in any way I can.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

Hi, I am a straight, cisgender, white, female junior here at Duke. Long before coming to college, I struggled with eating disorders, anxiety, and depression, which have resurfaced and transformed under the stresses of college life. I am passionate about singing and most all music (just not country, no offense intended.) Since coming to Duke, I’ve struggled with finding an academic path, uncertainty about my career, roommate conflict, and balancing social life with schoolwork and self-care. I’m looking forward to continuing learning about other students’ experiences and to fostering more supportive and compassionate community on campus.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

Hi Friends! I’m a Muslim, Arab, female-identifying, first-generation international student in my third year. Coming here from the Middle East as a freshman, I often found it hard to find my place at Duke. I struggled with social anxiety and imposter syndrome, which made it even more challenging to build friendships and connect with people as deeply as I crave. More than two years later, it still feels isolating at times, but I’ve learned to be more proactive about my mental health when dealing with such feelings, which made a difference. Seeking an empathetic ear is indeed a big step. As an upperclassman DukeLine mental health peer coach, I am looking forward to listen to your story and share mine, in hopes that you find some relevance in it.

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2023

I am an Asian American male from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. I decided to become a coach because I really like connecting with people and want to help people however I can!

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2023

Hey, I’m a Latinx, cisgender, heterosexual male from the South West. I’m from a low-income, first generation, and single parent household, and I’m studying Psychology and Philosophy with a minor in Creative Writing. I have major aspirations of becoming a therapist or mental health counselor in the future, and I have additional interests in music, politics, and gaming. Based on my personal experiences, some of the issues you might be facing that I can relate to include: college life as a first-gen/low-income student, indecision around major and career choices, social life as an introvert, long distance relationships, imposter syndrome, financial hardship, social anxiety, finding purpose, and presentation anxiety. I became a DukeLine coach because I genuinely believe talking about our problems with people who can relate is immensely valuable and because I want to play a part in helping Duke students transition into and succeed in college. So, please feel free to reach out!

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

Hi! I am a white, cis, heterosexual, female-identifying sophomore from the east coast. I have struggled with the stress of being pre-med, friend issues, imposter syndrome, social anxiety, and eating problems. I hope to be able to be there for my peers in the Duke community that may be going through similar situations or those that may need someone non-judgmental to talk to. I am still working on balancing my mental health and school life, and I decided to join the DukeLine to be able to help others with this as well. 

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2024

Hi everyone! I am a biracial (Indian/white), cisgender, heterosexual male from New York. I am a senior pursuing a major in Political Science and a certificate in Markets and Management. One of the reasons I wanted to join DukeLine is because my time at Duke has been a rollercoaster. I came in as a freshman feeling very homesick and struggled with the transition to college, especially as someone who did not experience much change growing up. I tried my best to immerse myself in different organizations/meet different people, and I hope the knowledge I gained can help guide you all. Furthermore, some of my closest friends and family have struggled with a variety of mental health issues, and I believe it is extremely important to talk about these issues. No topic is off-limits, so please reach out. College is not easy by any means and we all deserve to be heard. 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

Hi! I am a straight, Asian, female-identifying student in my third year. The experience of studying abroad is not easy for me, as I constantly struggle with my language, my self-identity, loneliness, homesickness, social anxiety, and culture shock. Moreover, balancing work and entertainment, making new friends and maintaining old ones, trying to fit in while wanting to have personal space, and navigating future academic and career path can all be so stressful. I get you. I’ve been there, and I’m probably still there. So come to us if you think you need a little extra help in your life! You’ll never know how sharing your struggles with someone else can really help.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

Hi! My pronouns are she/her, and I am a black sophomore from the DMV majoring in dance and psychology. Having been diagnosed with social anxiety in the eighth grade, the topic of mental health has always been present in my life. While receiving the label of SAD allowed me to start finding ways to cope and improve, the actual process of seeking therapy was difficult. The difficulties I had in the search for a therapist drove me to begin studying psychology with the hopes of being able to help others in the way I wish had been years ago. Today, I work as a peer health coach to try and accomplish this on a smaller scale. Through my work, I hope to let you all know that you are not alone. Whether you would like advice or just someone to talk to I am here for you! 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

Hey! I am a biracial (Black/White) first-generation college student from a lower-income background. As a peer coach, I am here to listen and support you. I have experienced (and sometimes still experience) homesickness, being in a long-distance relationship, financial stress, feeling overwhelmed, the uncertainty of my life plans, struggling with confidence, social comparison, and feeling alone. Whatever the situation, we are all here for you whether you need to vent, want more guidance, etc. 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

I am a white, cis, heterosexual female-identifying student. Issues I have been challenged with in the past (or continue to face) include: body image, having a healthy relationship with food, relationships, hook-ups, surface-level friendships, loneliness, test anxiety, and financial hardship. I joined DukeLine so that my peers can have a place that they are comfortable being vulnerable. Asking for help was a scary step for me to take personally, and I hope the anonymity and accessibility of DukeLine helps to alleviate some of this pressure for Duke students. I am here to listen to you, support you, and help you navigate any struggles that you might be experiencing. 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2024

I am a straight, female-identifying senior from South Asia. I grew up in a relatively underprivileged part of the world and throughout my time at Duke, I have constantly questioned whether I was doing enough because so many people in my country would kill for this opportunity. Over the years, I have struggled with low self-esteem, feelings of loneliness, negative body-image, anxiety, homesickness, and financial pressures. My goal as a coach is to be there for you, be a listening ear and a sounding board, help you navigate challenging times, and to connect you with amazing Duke resources when appropriate. Some fun things about me: I love food, have been horseback riding since I was 5, and am a Sufi poetry enthusiast. 

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2024

I am a straight, white male from Boston, Massachusetts. Over my four years at Duke (as well as a lot in high school), I have had personal experience talking to friends who have struggled with depression, anxiety, and guilt. My goal in being a coach is to make sure people know they have a place to be heard and that they are not alone however they may be feeling. I really like baseball and football, love listening to classic rock, and am a Classics minor. As a coach, I want to be there for you guys through any situation that may be troubling you. All the coaches want to listen and provide resources at Duke that can be helpful to you. 

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2023

Hello! I’m a junior at Duke majoring in Psychology. I identify as a cis, heterosexual, biracial (Black and White), male from the Northeast US. Coming from a small, close-knit, rigorous, and structured high school, my Duke experience certainly hasn’t been short of adjustments. During my time at Duke, a few things I’ve struggled with include: my mental health, relationships, feeling disconnected and lonely, academic stress, and how to best balance my personal, social, and academic goals. I joined DukeLine because navigating this stage in our lives is far from easy and no one should have to experience these hardships and conflicts alone or without support. No matter what’s on your mind, I’m here for you. Some other things I enjoy are: walks in the gardens, being around friends, dogs, and sports (mostly football and basketball but I’ll dabble). 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

Hi Friends! I’m a straight, muslim, Asian, female-identifying junior, international student. I am very passionate about psychology. I love to talk to people and help them, I am a good listener and if you need to talk to someone I am here for you. I think when you go through hard times it is not a shame to ask for a support. We all experience hard times and together we can go through anything. Sincerely, your DukeLine Peer- Coach. 

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2023

Hello! I am a straight, black, female-identifying senior from St.Louis, MO and I use she/her/hers pronouns. During my time at Duke I’ve battled imposter syndrome and feelings of being not enough. As a leader on campus I’ve also had to deal with overwhelming amounts of work that induces anxiety, stress and feelings of burnout. Socially and romantically I’ve dealt with challenges of sexual assault , toxic relationships and gaslighting. My goal as a coach is to show you empathy and lend you an ear. I want to be someone you feel comfortable leaning on and create a space free of judgment. I hope to help you find resources on and off campus that will allow you to thrive in the best way possible during your time at Duke!

Coach Alumni

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2022

I am an Asian-identifying senior and go by she/her/hers pronouns. What I have been through or helped someone else through makes me want to do this work: stress as a pre-med student, feeling overwhelmed, not knowing where and how to get involved with opportunities on campus, culture shock adjusting to college, struggles as an international student, uncertainty due to undecided major, sleep disturbances, loneliness, feeling left out, and struggles in romantic relationships and breakups.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2022

I am a straight, wasian (asian/white), heterosexual, cisgendered female from California. I am currently a senior and a pre-med student. I grew up in a very high pressured environment in high school, and coming to Duke I felt the presence of constant high expectations even more so. Throughout my time in college I have grappled with anxiety, motivation and figuring out my own personal identity. I joined DukeLine because navigating college is not easy for anyone and I want to be the resource that I never had for anyone struggling with their own experiences.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2022

Hello! I’m a senior at Duke majoring in Psychology. I identify as cis, heterosexual, Asian American, and female, and am from the Northeast US. My time at Duke has definitely not been perfect. During these past 4 years, I’ve struggled with a lot of things: my mental health, relationships, feelings of loneliness, academic stress, and time management, just to name a few. If any of that resonates with you, I would be happy to talk with you about it (or anything at all, for that matter). That’s why I became a coach— I didn’t want anyone to have to feel like they needed to go through Duke alone. Whether you need a friend or just someone to talk to, I’m here for you. Some more things about me: I’m a big plant mom, I love coffee (a little too much), and I’m a dog person (but mostly by default, since I’m pretty allergic to cats). I would be happy to talk to you about any of these things as well. 🙂

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2022

Hi, I’m a white male from the west coast, my pronouns are he/him/his. Since moving across the country my freshman year, I’ve experienced a lot of changes here that have challenged me and my close friends as we tried to keep up with academic, career, physical and mental health demands. I hope to be there for you on those hard days and provide all the support that I can.

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2022

I am a first-generation, biracial (Asian/Black), male senior at Duke, and I love music, anime, and the color purple. My past few years here have felt like a never-ending struggle. I’ve dealt with mental health issues long before coming to college, but Duke’s social and academic stressors certainly didn’t make things easier. One of the things that brought me solace at my worst times was simply feeling like I wasn’t alone, like there was a way to move forward. My goal as a coach is to help my peers feel understood, or at least heard. I hope to help you find ways to not only cope with but transcend your hardships. With the abundance of resources at our disposal, I know that we can get through this together.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2022

Hi! I am a Latina-identifying senior who moved to the States from South America during high school. I have experienced many different and difficult challenges at Duke: a first gen/ low income student, career choices, sexual assault, anxiety, depression, grief, etc. I have learned to make decisions that make me happy and benefit my wellness journey, and I would like to help my peers make the best choices for themselves, too. 

I have two dogs, a ton of plants, I practice yoga and meditation, and do work with Reiki energy healing. I love everything wellness related and want to share what I have found to be helpful at Duke and beyond with you! I promise to listen to you like a friend and give guidance as such. Your voice deserves to be heard.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2022

I am a straight, white, female-identifying senior from the east coast. I have had personal experience with a range of issues such as depression, chronic panic attacks, disordered eating, difficulty focusing, and financial hardship.
Being a coach for DukeLine is so important for me, as I want to help peers to learn how to best work through difficulties that come their way while at Duke. One of my favorite quotes is “even when the dark comes crashing through; when you need a friend to carry you; when you’re broken on the ground– you will be found” from Dear Evan Hansen, and I truly believe that a hotline like DukeLine will help so many people to be “found.”

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2022

I am a biracial (Asian/white), cisgender, heterosexual male from the southeastern region of the United States. I’m also a junior and a pre-med student. I had a really difficult time adjusting to life in college, and unfortunately, I have experienced my share of loss and hardship throughout the three years I’ve been at Duke. Because of this, I decided to join the DukeLine team so that I can help other students make their way through college while dealing with the trials and tribulations of life.

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2022

Hi! I am a white, cis, heterosexual male-identifying junior from the Midwest US. At Duke, I have struggled with transitioning into college life, creating and maintaining stable friendships, grief and loss, and feeling like I do not belong/fit in. I joined DukeLine because I know that this program is something that would have been very helpful to me, and I could not pass up the opportunity to assist other students who similarly struggle in a tangible way.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2022

I’m a straight, white, female-identifying junior from the South and my pronouns are she/her/hers. During my past two years at Duke, I’ve struggled with roommate conflicts, uncertainty about choosing a career, and an early sleep schedule that makes it difficult to maintain a college social life or stay awake later in the day. I’m also still working to balance my academic coursework with extracurricular activities and my own social and mental wellbeing.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2021

Hello! I am a first-generation, working-class senior at Duke. I’m originally from the deep south, and I have experience with a range of issues that are, unfortunately, common to undergraduates at Duke, such as: roommate conflict, relationship problems, death of a loved one/grief, job/school (im)balance, rape/sexual assault, binge eating behavior, childhood abuse/traumatic memories, difficulty focusing, and poor academic performance.
I decided to become a peer-coach because I want to offer an ear to those struggling on campus. I would also like to connect struggling students with the wonderful resources Duke has to offer. If there’s anything I would like my fellow classmates to know, it’s this: we are here to listen, and we want to listen.

Identities: woman, orphan (since age 15), working class/first generation, white, sexual abuse/assault survivor, pre-med, full-time worker, cat mom

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2021

Hello! My pronouns are she/her, and I am a Jewish senior from the South. I have faced a lot of difficulties during my time here at Duke, including sexual assault, academic struggles as a pre-med student (hello Orgo2), interpersonal problems with my roommate, difficulty sleeping, a new diagnosis of PCOS after struggling with weight gain, figuring out how to stay healthy while a student on campus, the death of my beloved childhood dog, and simply dealing with a global pandemic throwing all of my plans into disarray. My goal in joining DukeLine as a Peer Coach is to help you cope, like I have had to learn to do, with uncertainty, stress, trauma, self-doubt, illness, anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or literally anything else that may come your way during your time at Duke. Everyone deserves support and to be heard, especially when things get overwhelming. I am here to listen and provide resources when you feel like you need them. 

You matter.

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2021

Hey! I’m an Asian, cis, heterosexual male-identifying senior and an international student at Duke. I went through some difficult years adjusting to school and social life in America when I first moved here when I was 15. I felt like an outsider and was desperately trying to fit into social groups and find where I belong. Because of this, I’ve often wrestled with loneliness, anxiety, self-doubt, and an inability to forgive myself. During my struggles, thankfully, a few friends offered tremendous support and lifted me up. 

I have decided to be a peer-coach because I have learned the importance of empathy and friendship. I’d love to help other students via my listening and my voice. I’ve been saved by people who cared about my struggles and empathically listened to my stories. I want to do the same to others.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2021

I care about support for those who are struggling since I have experienced how difficult it can be to access effective mental health services for those in underfunded areas or for those with poorly researched issues.

Identities: Biracial (black & white), cisgender, fluid sexuality, low-socioeconomic status upbringing, history of anxiety and depression

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2021

I am an international student, senior and psychology major at Duke. I identify as bisexual and female, and so I go by she/her/hers. As a victim of rape and emotional abuse myself, I never had great experiences with response teams or hotlines, often finding them condescending and experiencing consequent victim blaming. I never want anyone to have to go through this in their time of need; I am here to listen to you whenever you may need, offer the appropriate resources you feel comfortable accessing and validate any emotions you may feel.

he/him/his

CLASS OF 2021

I use he/his pronouns, I’m a senior and a cis white heterosexual man from the midwest part of the US. At Duke I’ve struggled to find my social balance, and ways to center my mental health through the maze of resources and referrals endemic to the institution. I’m passionate about helping others on DukeLine because I wish I would have had something like this during those struggles and I want to do my part to help make campus a better place for everyone.

she/her/hers

CLASS OF 2021

Hi, there. I’m a woman (she/her/hers) from the Southwest that is studying to become a nurse. But most importantly, I am here to support you through a variety of challenges you may be facing, which can be hard to cope with amidst the work-hard-play-hard atmosphere on campus. I, too, have needed support in college, specifically for disordered eating, anxiety, loneliness, forming healthy habits, academic performance, and ADHD. So please reach out! We are here for you for all these issues and many more.