Leaving Laramie

This is Don’s last post, uploaded by Jules.

Some time has passed since we closed Laramie, but somehow I still don’t feel like I’ve let it go. I know all of my posts have been about how Laramie went completely against everything that I normally expect from a show, and I’m afraid that this post won’t be any different. Usually, in the weeks that follow a show, it starts to slip away from you. All the lines that you unintentionally memorized fade from consciousness, the number and order of cues becomes hazy, and you start to move on. Somehow that hasn’t happened yet.

Laramie is still very much in my head, and I’m not exactly sure why. I mean, the show had a huge emotional impact on me and was an absolute joy to work on, but that doesn’t really explain why every single technical detail is still sitting in my head, does it? I don’t know. “It’s weird, man.” (That line happens right after LX 164, if you’re curious). I’m ready for all of the Laramie tech to get out of my head.

What I’m not ready to lose, however, is the connection I still feel to the entire cast. Unlike with any other show I’ve done, I still feel hugely excited when I see any member of the cast walking around campus. I’ve always felt close to the casts that I’ve worked with, but never quite like this. It’s one of the many reasons that Laramie is one of the best experiences I’ve ever had with a show.

So, that’s where I am. Laramie is still very much stuck in my head. Part of me wants it to leave, part of me doesn’t. I’m still trying to figure out how to deal with that. But, as always, I know it will be an experience that I will always treasure.

Thanks,
Don