DIFF’s Top 10 Most Anticipated Movies of 2021 – Ranked!

BY: THE DIFF TEAM

2021 promises to bolster the movie business with a large slate of fantastic films. Here are DIFF’s top 10 most anticipated films of 2021, voted by DIFF members! In this article, some of our editorial members have also expressed their reasons for being excited about these films. 

10. Malcolm & Marie

MALCOLM & MARIE (L-R): JOHN DAVID WASHINGTON as MALCOLM, ZENDAYA as MARIE. DOMINIC MILLER/NETFLIX © 2021

How to watch: On Netflix 2/5/2021

Harry:  I can’t wait to see the on-screen chemistry between John David Washington and Zendaya.

Olivia: I’m excited to see how Zendaya embodies her self described dream role.

Sofia: As a huge Euphoria fanatic, I can’t wait to see Sam Levinson’s next film. 

Cate: Whatever Sam Levinson touches is stylistically ambitious and cinematically beautiful. Not to mention the incredible casting choices.

9. Nomadland

How to watch: In theaters and on Hulu 2/19/2021

Harry: I’d watch anything from Chloé Zhao.

Sofia: Can’t wait for another incredible Frances McDormand performance.

Cate: Born and raised in the American West, I’m so excited to see how Chloé Zhao captures the natural beauty and power of these landscapes on screen.

8. Mission: Impossible 7

How to watch: In theaters 11/19/2021

Harry: At this point, who is NOT excited about a Mission: Impossible movie?

Olivia: In the fallout of the last Mission: Impossible, my hype for the franchise has re-surged full force.

Viraaj: I honestly didn’t expect the last one to be as good as it was, so I’m interested to see what they do next!

7. No Time to Die

© 2020 DANJAQ, LLC AND MGM. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

How to watch: In theaters 10/8/2021

Harry: I think this will be a thrilling and emotional conclusion to Daniel Craig’s time as Mr. Bond.

Viraaj: The next Bond movie? With a dope cast? Say less.

6. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

How to watch: In theaters 7/9/2021

Harry: As an Asian American, this movie means everything to me.

5. The Eternals 

How to watch: In theaters 11/5/2021

Harry: With Chloé Zhao as the writer and director, this may become the best MCU Phase 4 movie.

Cate: A Chloé Zhao-directed Jon Snow and Robb Stark reunion? Dream. Come. True.

4. A Quiet Place Part II

How to watch: In theaters 9/17/2021

Harry: I can’t wait to see what John Krasinski does next with the franchise.

Olivia: I’m thrilled to return to that uniquely potent tension of the first film — one of the few times you can truly hear a pin drop.

Sofia: A Quiet Place is one of my favorite modern thrillers. I’m so excited to see its next installment!

Viraaj: The first film kept me on the edge of my seat with its unique premise, so I’m eager to see how the story continues!

Cate: My appreciation of horror films completely changed when I experienced the mastery of John Krasinski’s direction and Emily Blunt’s performance in A Quiet Place. I literally cannot be more excited for this sequel.

3. Black Widow

How to watch: In theaters 5/7/2021

Harry: After 11 years, we’re finally getting a Black Widow movie.

Cate: Natasha Romanoff is too incredible a character to not get her own solo movie. We’ve been ready for this for a while.

2. Untitled Spider-Man: Far From Home sequel

How to watch: 12/17/2021

Harry: Tobey, Andrew and Tom potentially assembling to fight the Sinister Six? Sign me up.

Sofia: Alfred Molina is back to play Doc Ock!! I can’t wait. This has to be the most ambitious Spider-Man movie ever made!

Viraaj: Excited to see how the cliffhangers from the last Spider-Man will play out, especially with the OG actors!

1. Dune

How to watch: In theaters and on HBO Max 10/1/2021

Harry: Looking forward to this becoming one of the first big theatrical films after the pandemic.

Gabriel: Denis Villeneuve is one of my favorite directors and the cast could literally not be any better.

Viraaj: With a star studded cast and a visionary director, what’s not to be excited about?

Cate: They had me at Oscar Isaac.

What are your most anticipated films of 2021? How many of these do you think will release on time?