A Quick Thank You

I’ve spent a lot of time reflecting during this trip on my place as an American, a woman, and a person of privilege. In all of these reflections I view myself as an outsider in Cape Town, experiencing the culture and customs through the lens of someone far removed, constantly comparing experiences to my own set of norms. I’ve now been here for five weeks and I am feeling less like an outsider and increasingly a member of a community—a community I will be heartbroken to leave.

Thursday marked my twentieth birthday and my first birthday without my parents. I usually don’t like to be the center of attention, so I tried not to make a big deal out of my birthday, expecting the day to pass somewhat normally. However, I was constantly reminded it was my birthday by friends, coworkers, and even my parents, making the day unforgettable in the best possible way.

My coworkers sang to me in three different languages (English, Afrikaans, and isiXhosa) which was an incredible, once in a lifetime experience. I smiled widely through flushed cheeks, holding back tears. Afterwards a few of my coworkers kissed me on the cheek and gave me loving bear hugs. These ten minutes, a brief reprieve in an otherwise productive today, made me feel so loved. I am touched by this group that has welcomed me with open arms. Instead of an outsider stepping into SACTWU, I feel like part of the team.

After work, a few of my friends took me out to an amazing dinner at one of my favorite restaurants. When I returned for reflection session there was a cake waiting for me that my parents ordered in advance. I was so moved by these large gestures, as well as the small gestures like a hug from Hannah after our morning workout and a cappuccino from Kaia during our lunch break. On a day where I could have felt homesick and alone, wishing to be back with my parents, I felt so grateful and lucky to be in Cape Town.

The community at work, and within the DukeEngage program itself, has made Cape Town feel like home. Leaving behind Cape Town doesn’t just mean leaving behind Table Mountain and malva pudding. It means leaving behind people and relationships that I’ve grown to cherish. I will miss this place and all of its wonderful people, some of whom I may never see again. Thank you to my family, my friends, and my coworkers. Thank you to everyone who made my birthday the best one yet. And thank you to all those who have made me fall in love with Cape Town in a way that never would have been possible without your support and care.

This entry was posted in Anna. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to A Quick Thank You

1. Hannah Beiderwieden says:

This is lovely, I’m happy everyone could show you how special you are on your birthday! And I appreciate your gratefulness a lot:)