Appreciations

At every reflection session, our group starts off with sharing what we have been grateful for this week. This week I want to reflect on a few appreciations that I have had since being here.

I am appreciative of the people in this program. Living with a group of thirteen, it is only natural and inevitable to experience some conflict here and there, but I think it is unique when people are able to recognize and reconcile differences to work through conflict.  I am grateful to everyone (but particularly Archana, Karla, Kaia, and Anna) that has been willing to listen and understand my perspectives on different issues within the group.

I am appreciative of Cape Town – every day I’m here I feel this city challenging me and changing me.  Whether it’s making it to the top of a mountain or learning to understand societal issues, I feel like the longer I stay here, the more whole I become as a person. Since being here, I have felt a gain in strength in every way – physically, mentally, emotionally.

I am appreciative of the Sonke community. Last Friday, I witnessed how powerful and compassionate the community here was when one of Sonke’s employees passed away suddenly. It came as a shock to everyone. Beaulah had come in to work on Wednesday when she suddenly fell ill of pneumonia. By Friday, she was rushed to ICU but unfortunately did not make it. Once we heard the news, everyone at Sonke gathered to grieve and give support to one another. Even in this dark time, everyone at Sonke came together in a way that exactly represents what this organization is about – in fact, the word “Sonke” means “all together”. I am appreciative of the opportunity to work and learn from this community.

The events of this past week have served as a reminder to have compassion for everyone, constantly seek things that challenge me, and simply appreciate life, as it can be cut short at any moment.

This entry was posted in Akahne. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Appreciations

1. Laleh says:

Great article! I’m currently a Pediatrics resident in Los Angeles, and I studied French at Duke. I am fascinated by your experience in South Africa, and I appreciate your insight into life in Cape Town.