We are very excited to present our executive board for the 2020-2021 school year:

Duke Climate Coalition

President: Caroline Heitmann

Hi everyone! I am a senior studying civil engineering on the structural/mechanical track and getting a certificate in architectural engineering. I am interested in how climate change affects urban infrastructure, and I explore this through the Grand Challenge Scholars program and Duke Climate Coalition! I have been involved with DCC since my freshman year, and I have had the opportunity to work on administration transparency and energy efficiency campaigns. Looking forward to working alongside amazing and motivated DCC activists next year!

President: Sophie Jefferey

My name is Sophie Jeffery and I am one of the co-presidents of Duke Climate Coalition. I am a junior undergraduate at Duke University majoring in chemistry with the goal to research renewable energy solutions. With DCC, I have worked on a Green New Deal for Durham, writing a plan for Green New Durham and interfacing with elected officials in Durham. In addition, I helped organize various panels including the Hospital Energy Efficiency panel and 2020 Climate Policy forum. With Sunrise Durham, I have helped plan and execute Sunrise Trainings and phone banks, bird dogging candidates, and political campaigning. I am one of five students who developed the syllabus for Environmental Justice and Activism in North Carolina House Course for the fall semester of 2020. 

Vice President: Grace Jennings

Hi, I’m Grace Jennings and I’m a (rising) sophomore studying Environmental Science and Policy. I’m originally from the Boston area and I love running, painting, and hiking with my family. I was drawn to DCC because it was a way to get connected with people who are also deeply concerned about the future of our planet and the role that the Duke and Durham community can play on creating a better one. This year, I will be working on community education and outreach at Duke and in Durham to open up these conversations to a wider network of citizens and problem solvers.

Treasurer: Andrew Parker

My name is Andrew and I am a sophomore from Charlotte, NC studying Neuroscience and Evolutionary Anthropology. My environmental interests include political action, environmental and social justice, and making sure Duke reaches its goal of net neutrality of carbon emissions. I have greatly enjoyed working with DCC so far and am excited to serve as the group’s Treasurer. I can’t wait to meet the newest members and see what the group will accomplish in the upcoming year!

Social Media/Outreach Coordinator: Alyssa Jurewicz

My name is Alyssa Jurewicz and I am one of the co- Social Media /Outreach Coordinators for Duke Climate Coalition. I am a rising sophomore and have been involved with DCC since my first semester of my first year at Duke, mostly working on the climate lecture series. Outside of DCC I am involved in several DUU committees and Mi Gente. In my free time, I like to cook, bake, watch movies, and listen to music. I am excited to see what DCC will accomplish next semester and to get to know everyone more next year!

Social Media Outreach/Coordinator: Rachita Gowdu

Hi all! My name is Rachita and I am a sophomore interested in pursuing an interdepartmental major in Environmental Science and Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies. I am interested in diving deeper into topics of environmental justice and situating communities of color within the climate crisis and environmental activism. I have been involved with the Duke Climate Coalition since my first semester of freshman year and am so excited to take on the role of Social Media Co-Chair this coming year!

Duke Graduate Climate Coalition

President: Kathleen Horvath

My name is Kat and I am now a fourth-year graduate student in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering in Duke’s Pratt School of Engineering. I joined the Glass group in the summer of 2017. I am working on NSF PFI BIC grant focusing on miniaturizing a mass spectrometer for use in detecting perfluorocarbon tracers. I am a Duke Environmental Impact Fellow, the ECE Representative for the Engineering Graduate Student Council, and a Co-President of Duke Climate Coalition. Prior to joining Duke University, I received her B.S. in Nanoscale Engineering from the University at Albany (SUNY) and spent two years working at Cree Inc. as a Process Sustaining Engineer.