The purpose of the Duke DPT Prevention & Lifestyle Medicine is to provide a platform for SPT’s to explore and discuss preventive physical therapy and lifestyle medicine topics, continue to propagate the role of physical therapists as primary care providers, challenge the traditional reactive medical model, and introduce opportunities for physical therapists to inject themselves in the overall health and wellness of their patients.
Check out what students in the Prevention & Lifestyle Medicine SIG are up to by reading our blog.
Schedule for 2016
- September 14th – Integrative Medical Center tour & discussion sign up here
- September 21st – Primary Care Physical Therapy
- October – Sports Injury/Re-injury Prevention – Collaborative series with Sports SIG & R2P
- December – Workplace injury (article)
- January – Rural healthcare
- February – Nutrition for clinicians
- March – Obesity (article)
- March – Sexual health and physical therapy – Collaboration with Women’s Health SIG & DPT United
- May – Practicing what you preach (article)
- May – Behavior change & motivational interviewing
- June – Hurdles to practicing P&LM