The DPT Neuro-Geri SIG held a journal club meeting on Thursday, 12/1/16. We were honored to be joined by our esteemed faculty members, Dr. Leonard White, and Dr. Jeff Hoder, who helped provide context to the case study we selected from PTJ entitled: “Long Term Exercise Training for an Individual with Mixed Corticobasal Degeneration and Progressive Supranuclear Palsy Features: 10 Year Case Report Follow-Up”.
Read the case report here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24114439
As we wind down the fall 2016 semester, 2nd year students are consolidating their knowledge gained in our Neurologic Patient Management course. This discussion helped apply what we have learned about Parkinson’s and other movement disorders, the relevant neuroanatomy, and the benefits of vigorous exercise training for patients with these conditions.
We’re looking forward to hosting Dr. White for another neuro-focused journal club next semester—we have exciting things planned, so stay tuned!
If you would like to know more about Parkinson’s-plus disorders, including progressive supranuclear palsy, or corticobasal degeneration, here are some web resources we have found helpful:
- CurePSP’s Healthcare professional resources include fact sheets, articles, and videos related to a variety of neurodegenerative disorders: http://www.psp.org/i-want-to-learn/healthcare-professional-resources/
- Need to know the most appropriate participation outcome measure for a patient with Hoehn and Yahr Stage III Parkinson’s? The Academy of Neurologic Physical therapy has published the PDEDGE task force recommendation documents to guide your practice: http://www.neuropt.org/professional-resources/neurology-section-outcome-measures-recommendations/parkinson-disease
- Interested in community-based physical activity programs for people with Parkinson’s and movement disorders? Here’s a short, by no means complete, list:
- NC Dance for Parkinson’s: 4-6 week sessions throughout the year, various locations in Durham and Chapel Hill. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rock Steady Boxing (Cary): http://cary.rsbaffiliate.com/
- Pilates for Parkinson’s (begins Jan 2017!): https://poewellnesssolutions.com/pilates-for-parkinsons/
- Yoga for Parkinsons’s (Carrboro): http://www.healingartyoga.com/Services-2.html