Call for PETAL Lab Student Fellows

The Planetary Ethics and Artificial Intelligence Lab (PETAL) is recruiting six student fellows for the 2018-2019 academic year.

Students will attend lab meetings, carry out research tasks under the supervision of the co-directors, receive training in humanistic research to carry out an independent research project, and organize one student event each semsester.

Benefits

The PETAL fellowship program is designed to build skills in research, leadership and collaboration. It is an unparalleled opportunity that in most universities would normally be available only to graduate students.

Fellows have the unique opportunity to interact closely with the lab’s co-directors, and learn about cutting edge research in the humanities from two of the world’s leading researchers in their fields.

Fellows receive special access to the visiting professors, authors and artists who will be participating in the lab’s colloquium series. By attending social events and interacting informally with the visitors, fellows will have an unique opportunity to learn from and network with them.

Fellows will gain teamwork and leadership skills by working together to design and implement a student-centered event related to the lab’s theme to be held once per term on the DKU campus.

Fellows receive a stipend of 3,000 RMB per semester to support their learning in the fields of planetary ethics and artificial intelligence. Fellowships normally last two semesters, but renewal in the second semester is contingent on satisfactory performance in the first semester.

Learn more about the intellectual context for the PETAL lab and some of its planned activities.

To apply for a fellowship, send a one page application letter  indicating your motivation for applying and the skills and experience you can contribute to the lab by August 31, 2018 to the HRC administrative assistant Chi Zhang (chi.zhang323@dukekunshan.edu.cn).

One Reply to “Call for PETAL Lab Student Fellows”

1. As soon as I heard this news, I thought it was what I am looking forward to.
    During my high school, based on the feature extraction theories which is being widely used but mainly focusing on physical object extraction only, I tried to analyze the emotional connection between music pieces and paintings of same school. Although the project has not reached a full systematic conclusion yet, I accumulated lots of knowledge and experience in audio processing, arts, psychology, digital analysis especially MATLAB programming, Fourier transform and matrix manipulation.
    Based on this project I did, I started to learn something about computer science and Artificial Intelligence. Also, I was thinking afresh about how we human beings recognize the world. How do we get along with the world?
    Several months ago, after I watched a conversation video between Melinda Gates and Fei-fei Li about “AI-4-All”, which is addressing the challenges in developing an unbiased AI world among genders and races. I started to think about the future of AI and other ethnic problems while developing AI, like the problem in Autonomous vehicles and humanity plus etc.
    Based on my understanding of Chinese philosophy, I also find some similar idea in computer science and philosophy. For example, the way of protecting data is quite similar with the theory raised by ‘mo zi’.
    In brief, I had some experience on researching and I had some background knowledge in Artificial Intelligence and Chinese philosophy. Last but not the least, I had the strong passion to go further in studying the philosophy and ethnic issues in Artificial Intelligence.