Get involved with DEID!
DEID is subject to Duke’s travel regulations. Duke-supported international summer travel was suspended for 2021, but allowed for the 2022 summer; we cannot yet predict with certainty what restrictions will apply for the 2023 summer.
During the summer, each travel team typically travels to their community partner to implement design solutions. To get involved for future travel:
- come to the weekly travel team meetings!
- apply to travel! Applications are done either through DukeEngage or a third partner site (specific to each team)
This summer (2023) DEID will be sending teams to Uganda and Eswatini:
- The Uganda project will be in Kaihura, Uganda, located in the Kyenjojo District to construct a secondary school intended to serve the surrounding community. We will be partnering with DukeEngage and Bringing Hope to the Family for this summer project!
- The Eswatini project will be constructing a 120m pedestrian footbridge. We will be partnering with DukeEngage and Engineers in Action’s Bridge Program!
Dates of Travel:
- Uganda: June 5 – July 30, 2023
- Eswatini: May 10 – July 12, 2023
Participate in our bi-/weekly travel team project meetings!
Our project teams typically meet weekly or biweekly throughout the academic year. Get involved and commit however much you want! Involvement in our project teams does not require summer travel, and vice versa.
At these meetings, we discuss:
- design solutions,
- cultural and inequity awareness,
- grant + funding applications, and more!
Project Meetings during Spring 2023:
- Uganda: Sundays from 6-7 pm in Wilkinson 130
- Eswatini: Sundays from 12-1 pm in Wilkinson 136
General Body Meetings and Events (GBMs)
Join our club-wide meetings and events!
In addition to project team meetings, we also host club-wide general body meetings and events. GBMs typically occur twice a month, with topics ranging from technical workshops, to speaker panels, to global health discussions. Our social events are geared towards building community within the organization: come and have fun!
Join our Google Calendar to stay up to date on ways to get involved!
For alternate ways to get involved, please contact the club presidents at firstname.lastname@example.org.