The Davison Council service committee, lead by the VP of Service, promotes service opportunities in the medical school, at Duke, and in the Durham community. In addition, the service committee provides student organizations with financial support for ongoing service events. Twice a year, the service committee organizes Duke in Durham Day, a day for graduate students across Duke to perform several hours of service at multiple sites.
Duke in Durham Day
In the 2014-2015 academic year, 224 people volunteered through Duke in Durham Day to provide a total of 672 volunteer hours to the Duke / Durham community.
12 organizations in the Fall and 13 organizations in the spring benefitted from these volunteer hours with many organizations participating in both semesters. Organizations that benefitted from Duke in Durham Day during the 2015-2016 academic year include (listed in alphabetical order):
Diaper Bank of NC
Durham County Youth Home
Durham Crisis Response Center
Durham Rescue Mission
Food Bank of NC
Habitat for Humanity Construction
Ronald McDonald House
Sandy Creek Park Renovation
Urban Ministries of Durham
Winter Formal Fundraiser
Each Year Duke Medical Students and faculty raise money to support organizations such as adopt-a-family and toys for tots to provide toys to children during the holiday season
Ongoing Service Opportunities: For updated information on these groups. Visit their individual DC websites
- Urban Ministries of Durham volunteer opportunities planned each month by Davison Council Service Committee. Examples of recent events include: brown bag lunches, gleaning sweet potatoes, clothing closet and food pantry organization, winter clothing drive, and children’s valentine card donations.
- DukeMed Engage
- MedMentors – at Durham County Youth Home
- HotSpotting Initiative
- Music and Memory
- Parent Health Education Academy
- DukeMed Elementary
- Hey Durham! – Health and Sexual education to high school students
- AMA Service
- AMWA (American Medical Women’s Association) Service
- CMDA (Christian Medical Dental Association) Service
- SNMA (Student National Medical Association) Service
- LMSA (Latino Medical Student Association) service events
- Community Health Interest Group
- Fremont rural health clinic
- DukeRemedy – medical supplies to rural locations
More information about Community Service opportunities available at Duke can be found at the Duke Community Service Center.
Duke medical students also have the unique opportunity to apply for the Chancellor’s Service Fellowship- a one-year interdisciplinary, mentored fellowship program focused on health-related community service and leadership development. The Fellowship program is designed to provide health services to underserved populations by facilitating opportunities for students to bring their project ideas to life through mentorship and funding. For more information visit the fellowship page.
Amazing projects such as #2-6 above has started or expanded with the help of the Chancellor’s Service Fellowship started in 2012-2013 under the leadership of Chancellor Victor Dzau.
Have more questions?
2017-2018 Service Chair: Julia Salinaro
2016-2017 Service Chair: Hassan Alkazemi
2015-2016 Service Chair: Aladine Elsamadicy
2014-2015 Service Chair: Danielle Sobol