Examples of Past LASRG Reading Selections
- Christoph Markschies, God’s Body: Jewish, Christian, and Pagan Images of God, trans. Alexander Johannes Edmonds (Baylor University Press, 2019 [German original, 2016])
- Jennifer Barry, Bishops in Flight: Exile and Displacement in Late Antiquity (University of California Press, 2019)
- Rebecca Falcasantos, “A School for the Soul: John Chrysostom on Mimēsis and the Force of Ritual Habit,” in The Garb of Being: Embodiment and the Pursuit of Holiness in Late Ancient Christianity, ed. Frank, Holman, & Jacobs (Fordham University Press, 2019)
- Jack Tannous, The Making of the Medieval Middle East (Princeton University Press, 2018)
- Blossom Stefaniw, Christian Reading: Language, Ethics, and the Order of Things (University of California Press, 2019)
- Ellen Muehlberger, Moment of Reckoning: Imagined Death and its Consequences in Late Ancient Christianity (Oxford University Press, 2019)
- September 14th – Richard L. Kalmin’s Migrating Tales: The Talmud’s Narratives and their Historical Context (University of California Press, 2014)
- October 12th – Essays from Religious Competition in the Greco-Roman World edited by Nathaniel P. DesRosiers and Lily C. Vuong (SBL Press, 2016).
- November 28th – Noel Lenski’s Constantine and the Cities: Imperial Authority and Civic Politics (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2016)
- Evagrius and His Legacy, edited by Robin Darling Young and Joel Kalvesmaki (Notre Dame University Press, 2016).
- Symposium Readings
- David Frankfurter, Christianizing Egypt: Syncretism and Local Worlds in Late Antiquity (Princeton University Press, 2017).
- Mira Beth Wasserman, Jews, Gentiles, and Other Animals: The Talmud After the Humanities (Penn, 2017).
- September 15 – Andrew S. Jacobs’ Epiphanius of Cyprus: A Cultural Biography of Late Antiquity (University of California Press, 2016).
- October 26 – Kyle Smith’s Constantine and the Captive Christians of Persia (University of California Press, 2016).
- December 6 – Julia Hillner’s Prison, Punishment and Penance in Late Antiquity (Cambridge University Press, 2015).
- January 25 – Todd S. Berzon’s Classifying Christians: Ethnography, Heresiology, and the Limits of Knowledge in Late Antiquity (University of California Press, 2016).
- February 20 – Heidi Wendt’s At the Temple Gates: The Religion of Freelance Experts in the Roman Empire (Oxford Press, 2016).
- March 21 – Rachel Neis’s The Sense of Sight in Rabbinic Culture: Jewish Ways of Seeing in Late Antiquity (Cambridge University Press, 2013).
- September 24 – Essays from the recent collection edited by Catherine M. Chin and Moulie Vidas Late Ancient Knowing: Explorations in Intellectual History (University of California Press, 2015).
- October 26 – Select chapters from Michael Philip Penn’s Envisioning Islam: Syriac Christians and the Early Muslim World (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2015).
- November 12 – Select chapters from Dayna Kalleres’ City of Demons: Violence, Ritual, and Christian Power in Late Antiquity (University of California Press, 2015).
- January 20 – Select chapters from Chris L. de Wet’s Preaching Bondage: John Chrysostom and the Discourse of Slavery in Early Christianity (University of California Press, 2015).
- February 22 – Select chapters from Scott Fitzgerald Johnson’s Literary Territories: Cartographical Thinking in Late Antiquity (Oxford University Press, 2016).
- March 30 – Select chapters from Heidi Marx-Wolf’s new work Spiritual Taxonomies and Ritual Authority: Plutonists, Priests, and Gnostics in Third Century CE (University of Penn Press, 2016).
- April 13 – Essays from a collection edited by C. Laes, K. Mustakallio and V. Vuolanto Children and Family in Late Antiquity: Life, Death, and Interaction (Peeters, 2015).