The following steps outline the process for donating cord blood at a CCBB affiliated hospital.
- Check your eligibility
- Talk to your doctor or midwife about your interest in donating to the public bank. Depending on when or where you deliver, many providers will perform the collection for us.
- When you arrive at the hospital, tell the labor and delivery team that you’d like to be a cord blood donor. Your nurse will contact the cord blood team.
- At the time of delivery, a CCBB team member will visit you to discuss the donation process & forms.
- Complete a consent form at the hospital.
- Complete a family and personal medical history questionnaire at the hospital.
- Give a sample of your blood to be tested for infectious diseases. This can usually be done when starting your IV or when obtaining other routine blood samples.
- Immediately after the delivery, either the physician or the CCBB technician will collect the cord blood.
- Collected units are then shipped to the CCBB Lab, on the Duke university campus, for processing. Units that meet all of the criteria will be banked.