Welcome to the CASE i3 Initiative on Impact Investing!
- CASE i3’s mission is to establish a rich set of resources and activities for MBA students, entrepreneurs, investors, funders, academics and policymakers to explore and support the field of Impact Investing over its critical period of development over the next 5-10 years.
- CASE i3 is part of CASE (Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship), the award-winning research and education center based at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business, which promotes the entrepreneurial pursuit of social impact through the thoughtful adaptation of business expertise.
What is Impact Investing and what does it include?
- Impact investments are investments made into companies, organizations, and funds with the intention to generate a measurable, beneficial social or environmental impact alongside a financial return. Impact investing is a new term but the practice has been around for decades.
- The strategy encompasses a broad range of activity from microfinance and community development finance, to investments in renewable energy, global health, education and international development. The non-publicly owned portion of the impact investing market is surveyed in the Annual Impact Investor Survey by the Global Impact Investing Network and was estimated to encompass $77 billion in assets under management in 2016. Sustainable, responsible and impact investing (SRI) assets have expanded 133% in four years, from $3.74 trillion in 2012 to $8.72 trillion in 2016, according to the biennial 2016 Report on US Sustainable, Responsible and Impact Investing Trends by US SIF.
How do I Learn More About Impact Investing?
If you have 5 minutes:
- Watch this 1 minute video from the G8 Social Impact Investment Taskforce, “Turn Your Money Into Real Change.”
- Read our brief intro to impact investing.
If you have 15 minutes:
- Watch our 12 minute Faculty video introducing impact investing and tri-sector leadership.
- Visit the CASE i3 100, our list of the top 100 articles, blogs, databases, investment platforms, job boards, and research on the field. According to Jean Case, CEO of the Case Foundation, “There’s something for everyone in here!”
- Read this great Forbes piece on how ANYONE can earn both a social and financial return from .25-5.5% with as little as a $20 investment.
If you have 60 minutes:
- Download our 57 page ebook, Collaborative Capitalism, to read on your phone, tablet or laptop. Jean Oelwang, CEO of Virgin Unite, said it shows how impact investing is “putting collaboration, wisdom and empathy back at the heart of capitalism.”
- View our resource feed, which includes videos, articles, case studies, and more, and is searchable by theme (try entering “social impact bond,” or “Latin America” in the search box in the upper right corner of this page, or click on a theme in the right hand bar.)
If you want to dig in deeper:
- Download or order The Impact Investor book. The book has been called “impact investing’s Rosetta stone,” which “offers an opportunity to understand the field from every vantage point;” “the kind of book that you will want to read cover-to-cover, because only then will you fully appreciate its breadth and depth of insight,” and “a truly groundbreaking work that delivers some of the very finest thinking on impact investing, and presents it in a warm and inspiring way.” It includes a forward from Sir Ronald Cohen, the chair of the Social Impact Investment Taskforce established by the G8.
If you want to learn as you go:
Was CASE i3 the first MBA program to focus on impact investing?
- Yes. CASE i3 was the first comprehensive global program at a top global business school to blend academic rigor with practical knowledge in the emerging field of Impact Investing. We launched in September 2011 with a grant from the Rockefeller Foundation, and since then we’ve educated thousands of students, partnered with over 100 organizations globally, including the White House Office of Social Innovation and Civic Participation and USAID, convened over 600 practitioners at our events, produced over 25 reports, books, and case studies (and many more blogs!), have taught global leaders about impact investing in customized seminars, and supported research in the field across more than 13 other universities, including Harvard Business School, Wharton and Emory. Our alumni are actively building the field with us, across the globe. Read our impact stats to learn more.
How can I learn more about CASE and CASE i3?
- Read our lessons from the first 3 years in an article commissioned by the World Economic Forum.
- Learn more about CASE in this 2 minute video.
We look forward to hearing from you!