Duke WordPress doesn’t offer any built-in way for blog/site subscribers to receive emails when new posts are published. However, you can use Google’s Feedburner service to perform the same task.
First, you’ll need to set up a Feedburner feed for your site. Go to feedburner.google.com and sign in. You’ll need to add a feed for your site. for Duke WordPress, your main site’s feed will be http://sites.duke.edu/YOURSITE/feed/ (replacing YOURSITE with whatever your actual address is on Duke WordPress).
NOTE: Your WordPress site needs to be publicly viewable before it publishes RSS feeds. Go to Settings > Reading and choose either “Allow search engines to index this site” or “Discourage search engines from indexing this site”
Once you have the feed created, do the following in Feedburner:
- If you’re not already, go back to feedburner.google.com and login
- Click “My Feeds” in the upper-right-hand corner and select your site’s feed from the list
- Click the “Publicize” tab, then click “Email Subscriptions” on the left
- Click “Activate” to activate email subscriptions
- Scroll down until you find the Subscription Link Code area, and copy the HTML in the box below ‘Preview Subscription Link’
In your Duke WordPress site, login and go to the Dashboard.
- Go to the Appearance section and click Widgets
- Add a Text widget to the sidebar you want, and paste the HTML code from Feedburner in the widget. Save and check your site. You should see an option to subscribe to your site by email on your sidebar. Students and/or other visitors can click this and configure their own options for how they’d like to receive email updates.