The IDEA committee and Biology Department received the 2019 Dean’s Award for Inclusive Excellence in Graduate Education from The Graduate School, which provided us with $5000 in award money. The IDEA committee has pledged to use this money for anti-racist initiatives and we have decided to commit to providing conference funding for BIPOC trainees (undergraduate and graduate students and postdocs). Award criteria are as follows:
- Any Biology-affiliated undergraduate, graduate student or postdoc who identifies as Black, Indigenous, and/or a Person of Color is eligible for this award
- Funding will cover virtual conference registration up to US $300*
- There is a limit of one award per semester per trainee
- Funding can be used for any conference that falls within the areas of research or professional development of that particular trainee
- A short application must be completed for record keeping purposes (found here). These applications will be made publicly available here
If you wish to apply for this award, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your completed application. Please feel free to reach out to the same address with any questions.
*This may be amended to cover other costs once conferences safely move offline