Erwin Mill Building
2024 W. Main St.
Durham, NC 27708-0420
Research Scientist, Senior
Darryl Wieland currently works in the Biodemography of Aging Research Unit of the Center for Population Health and Aging, Social Science and Population Research Institutes, at Duke University. Darryl does research in assessment of and services for frail and disabled elderly people, and evaluation of geriatrics workforce enhancement initiatives. He also serves as an analyst for the Geriatrics and Extended Care Data and Analyses Center of the Veterans Health Administration.
BA Cum Laude (1972), American University, Anthropology
PhD, University of Rochester (1982), Anthropology
MPH, UCLA (1983), Health Services
- Shepherd-Banigan M., Smith V.A., Maciejewski M.L., Stechuchak K.M., Hastings S.N., and Wieland D, (2018). The effect of support and training for family members on access to outpatient services for veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder. Exp. Gerontol. 45:1-15. [ doi: 10.1007/s10488-017-0844-8 ] [ PMID: 29374821 ]
- Van Houtven C.H., Smith V.A., Stechuchak K.M., Hastings S.N., Maciejewski M.L., and Wieland D (2017) Comprehensive support for family caregivers: Impact on veteran health care and costs. Med Care Res 74:1-24. [ doi: 10.1177/1077558717697015 ] [ PMID: 29148338 ] [ PMCID: PMC5726944 ]
- Wieland D (2014) Toward Medicaid capitation of the Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly [PACE] using grade-of-membership methods. Advances in Sociology Research 157-81 [ Link ]
- Yanamadala M., Wieland D., and Heflin M (2013) Educational interventions to promote recognition of delirium: A systematic review. J Am Geriatr Soc 61(11):1983-93. [ doi: 10.1111/jgs.12522 ] [ PMID: 24219200 ]
- Wieland D,(2013) Does Medicaid pay more to PACE than for fee-for-service long-term care? J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Science 68:47-55 [ doi: 10.1093/gerona/gls137 ] [ PMID: 22565242 ]
- Wieland D. (2012) Aging & health in international context. Indian J Med Research 135:451-3 [ doi: 10.1177/1077558717697015 ] [ PMID: 27683205 ] [ PMCID: PMC3385225 ]
- Stepanikova I., Zhang Q., Wieland D., (2011) Non-verbal communication between primary care physicians & older patients: How does race matter? J Gen Intern Med 27:576-81. [ doi: 10.1007%2Fs11606-011-1934-z ] [ PMID: 22143454 ] [ PMCID: PMC3326104 ]