Press "Enter" to skip to content

Global citizenship in North Africa – Mohammad Ehsan Khatami Blog #6

For the average American, comparing Morocco and Tunisia does not mean much. Most Americans would be unable to identify both nations on a map. And even if they could, it’s likely that they would put both nations under the same “Arab-Muslim” umbrella. I touched on many of these differences last week, however, because I’ve been asked to discuss them again, I want to emphasize how both countries shaped my image of a citizen in the Muslim world.

A bit of quick research will reveal that Morocco is a constitutional monarchy. This, in many European countries, indicates the presence of a powerless figurehead, however in Morocco, there are tangible implications to living under the King. Discourse and press articles regarding the system of government in Morocco are careful when mentioning the King’s name and administration. Additionally, the King uses his status as a descendant of the prophet to legitimize his rule as Amir al-Mumeneen (Commander of the Faithful).

This dynamic has led to Islamist elements being fused into government. The countries motto “Allah, al-Watan, al-Malik” conflates being Muslim with being a Moroccan citizen. Additionally, for Moroccan citizens, it is prohibited to eat food during Ramadan and it is culturally unacceptable to stray from Islam. People are free to choose their religion and behavior, but they have to surmount the intense cultural pressures that surround them. As a foreigner and a tourist, it is exceptionally difficult to see how these pressures affect the people, but through interviews at ALIF in Fez and by speaking with advisers at Qalam wa Lawh in Rabat, I quickly learned that Islam is a part of Moroccan life that is instigated but not enforced by the King.

Tunisia’s idea of citizenship has led to a vastly different paradigm among its citizens. As a result of the 2011 revolution during the Arab spring, Tunisians were able to shake the dictator, Ben Ali, from his position and have since then adopted a democratic model. However, because of this democratic model, Islamist politicians have been steadily gaining more influence in the government. Their influence is identifiable, but by speaking with former government officials during our conferences at Carthage University, I learned that the Islamist ideology has not turned into a feverous movement. There is no absolute authority or prophet’s descendant with the capability to consume the country in Islamism, and as a result, the Tunisians I spoke with seemed content with their residency in the country.

Walking in Tunisia, you will feel the calm atmosphere. Perhaps the smaller population and the exclusively Mediterranean climate contribute to this feeling, but the overt effects of the government’s influence are also noticeable. The city and even the Medina of Tunis were visibly cleaner and further developed than those in Fez and Rabat, and the Tunisian Dinar is a stronger currency than the Moroccan Dirham.

There are many small differences between the nations as well. The languages and cuisines are different, and their colonial rulers throughout history have usually clashed. However, after living in both nations, the most important difference I learned was that Islam—whether overtly implemented like in Morocco, or whether popularly implemented like in Tunisia—is not a prerequisite for citizenship, but rather a way of life that can strengthen anyone’s love for their country. Islam seems like it was designed to be a religion for the global citizen, and doesn’t need to be culturally enforced or enshrined in a constitution.

I’ll be officially signing off after I submit this blog post because DAW is coming to a quick closing. But, I hope I’ve influenced all readers of my posts to take initiative in understanding the world around them.

Alhamdulillah.

Be First to Comment