Interdisciplinary Curriculum

PSY 101-Introductory Psychology

Term: Fall 2017

Instructors: Dr. Bridgette Martin Hard & Dr. Makeba Wilbourn

This course provided an introduction to the field of modern psychology. I learned about the most prevalent psychological disorders as well as the experiences that may contribute to the development of such disorders. This gave me a better understanding of what can cause mental illness and the symptoms that a diagnosed individual may display, both of which can influence the types of medicines to help treat these diseases in the future. Additionally, I gained much insight into the importance of understanding the mental state of the patient as medicines are administered, as their mental state can significantly affect the outcome of treatment. Other issues like smoking, alcohol abuse, eating disorders, and depression were also addressed, all of which are important to consider when deciding on the best method to promote positive health behaviors.

SOCIOL 110D-Sociological Inquiry

Term: Fall 2018

Instructors: Dr. Christopher Bail

This course introduced me to the concept of social groups, networks, and institutions with a particular focus on modern-day America. It also described the influence of social and cultural constructs on the onset of mental illness, along with the associated ethical controversies surrounding healthcare and income inequality. This course allowed me to put my science education in the context of the realities of the modern world, which is an essential aspect to consider as we contemplate the future direction of medical care.

BIO 213D-Cell Signaling and Diseases

Term: Fall 2019

Instructors: Dr. Tai-Ping Sun & Dr. Zhen-Ming Pei

Though this is a biology course, I felt that this class was necessary to include as it most directly expanded my knowledge on cutting-edge research about causes and treatments of the most prevalent, debilitating diseases today. The class was a bit unorthodox in that it did not have a textbook; all of the material was taken from extremely recent scientific literature from the top peer-reviewed journals about the latest insights into mechanisms and treatments for diseases like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s, MS, ALS, etc. This gave me a much better understanding of where we currently stand in the fight against each of these diseases as well as ideas for directions we can take in developing better medicines compared to ones currently on the market.

PSY 252 (intended)-Psychology of Thinking

This course serves as an overview of the cognitive processes that happen inside the brain. It also explores the social implications of cognitive thinking and decision making in this modern technological age. It is expected that getting a better understanding of how and why people think as they do can contribute to a better understanding of how potential medicines may affect such cognitive processes.