Interdisciplinary Curriculum

1. Course 1: SOCIOL 110 – Sociological Inquiry
    • Term: Spring 2021
    • Instructor Name: Dr. Ashley Lauren Harrell King
    • Total Hours: 150
    • Brief Description + Relation to GC Focus: This course provided an introduction to the study of the social world. I learned about social groups, networks, and institutions especially as it pertains to the modern U.S. Understanding social interaction and cultural change is incredibly important as an aspiring physician-scientist, as it allows me to understand how these phenomena apply to scientific and professional standards. Also, by considering ethical controversies surrounding healthcare, education, income inequality, and other topics, I have a better sense of the ethics surrounding the mission of “Engineering Better Medicines.”

2. Course 2: PSY 101 – Introductory Psychology

• Term: Summer 2020
    • Instructor Name: Prof. Brenda Straka
    • Total Hours: 150
    • Brief Description + Relation to GC Focus: This course offered an informative survey of the field of modern psychology. I gained knowledge on various psychological disorders, examining them from biological, evolutionary, cognitive, and developmental lenses. Additionally, the course also involved an introduction to psychological research and how this is applied to different mental illnesses. I was also exposed to common treatments and therapies used for psychological disorders, providing me with a greater sense of the mental impact different medicines may have on patients diagnosed with certain conditions. This course shed light on the importance of considering the psychological implications of new medical advances. 

3. Course 3: GLHLTH 188FS – Patient-Provider Communication

• Term: Fall 2019
    • Instructor Name: Dr. Neil Prose
    • Total Hours: 120 
    • Brief Description + Relation to GC Focus: This course introduced me to the dynamics of patient-provider communication. I also obtained valuable insight regarding the role of implicit bias in the evolution of disparities in healthcare quality for racial and ethnic minorities. Another issue the course addressed was healthcare communication across cultures. Moreover, the course also explored creative methods in which healthcare systems may be able to build trust and establish effective communication with patients. This is critical to “Engineering Better Medicines”, as communication is the first step in understanding a patient’s needs. Such communication is necessary to obtain patient diagnoses, which is crucial in ensuring that therapies and treatments are implemented in an effective manner.