Sites@Duke is managed by a team of staff with representation from the Office of Information Technology (OIT) and the Duke Learning Innovation. OIT’s Academic & Media Technologies group is the service owner.
Information and feedback in support of the governance process is gathered in several ways:
- participation through our governance outreach (focus group meetings and occasional surveys); and
- feedback through formal information technology advisory bodies such the Information Technology Advisory Council (ITAC) and others.
Timeline for changes to Sites@Duke
Feedback from the governance process is used to make adjustments and improvements in the overall Sites@Duke service. We make changes to Sites@Duke every Thursday, including updating core, themes, and plugins, and handling domain mapping.
Review of Sites@Duke feature suggestions
Have a Sites@Duke feature request? Let us know by completing the Feature Request Form. The Sites@Duke team reviews feature requests on a rolling basis to assess compatibility with system and security requirements. Requestors will be notified of a decision within 2-4 weeks and, in the case of approved requests, will be provided a timeline for implementation. Timelines will be based on the complexity of the feature request and the upcoming maintenance schedule.
Additionally, existing features are actively reviewed by the Duke WordPress team, and those that are no longer being used or supported will be retired.
Criteria for feature suggestions
Feature suggestions are reviewed for fit within the following criteria.
- Technical fit, security, and stability – including active support by creators, compatibility with the current version of WordPress, and multisite compatibility
- Ability to be used by individual site owners without providing back-end or SFTP access
- Provides unique functionality not already available through existing tools
- Benefit to the overall Sites@Duke user community
- Ability to make the feature available to all Sites@Duke users at little or no cost (note: premium or paid themes and plugins are not compatible with Sites@Duke)